Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Note on Wizard Wisdom-Part IV

Wow, I am finally at the end of this little project, but I have to say the final installment is probably my favorite. Now here is numbers ten through 12...

10. I believe...

I must approach parenting as a master teacher approaches the classroom. If my children struggle to learn the lessons of life one way, I will devise a new lesson plan to teach them the concept another way.

11. I believe...

I will take the time to enjoy my children. I will play with them, work by their side, appreciate their individual work, and seek ways for them to develop their potential.

12. I believe...

God is all knowing. He has given us ample information on how to be a good parent. The key is for me to study His words, ponder the concepts, and practice His precepts. I will end each day on bended knee, thanking Him for my family, and the opportunity to learn to be a parent.


That's it folks. Parenting 101 from the mouth of the Wizard. I want to take this opportunity to relate one quick story about my father that will let you in on his parenting skills.

As a young boy of maybe 11 or 12, I lived on a boy's ranch with 35 delinquent children. My father was the director of said boy's ranch and hired his father to help with the livestock. I remember that one year my grandfather and my father needed help weaning the calves from their mothers and then castrating them and branding them at the same time. It was tough work. Real tough work. My brother and I were selected to be the helpers and cowhands. We worked one day for about eight or nine hours doing all and I mean all of the dirty work. We did it however, right next to my father. He was there the entire time helping and encouraging. I will never forget that opportunity to share a father/son moment.

I learned the value of work on many such days and at the end of each of them, we knelt in family prayer and wished each other a good night. I am truly blessed. I hope to share similar experiences with my son and daughters. These are the best of times, for sure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Parenting is the toughest job out there. I think, by the time we are grandparents, we finally learn how to do it. I don't care how many kids you have, they are all different. It requires different ways of teaching and disciplining. I have three children and they bring their own particular challanges and blessings. Thanks for the rules Wizard.

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading your series on parenting. The wizzard is a very wise man!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

When is your book coming out, Wizard? Seriously!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home