Monday, January 02, 2006

A Memory of New Year's

It perhaps occured a half dozen times or so as I was growing up, but New Year's Eve in our family was an occasion to have a party and invite all of our friends to it.

For some reason, (I just think it was the sheer goodness of their hearts) my parents hosted a New Year's Eve Breakfast just after midnight every year as I grew up. In my little community in Southern Idaho, the church would sponsor a New Year's Eve Dance that was the social event of the entire year, but it would end promptly at 12:30 a.m. and everyone would make their way to mischief or to the Jones abode for the party.

I remember the Wizard with his apron and a huge skillet of scrambled eggs. I also remember my dear mother churning out waffles on the waffle iron. Twenty or thirty at a shot. We had everything from sausage and bacon to pancakes and waffles, from scrambled eggs to hash browns. It was quite the shindig.

There was never any booze and the movie playing in the basement was always rather tame. I loved that my friends felt comfortable enough to want to come to our house growing up. In fact, they still love visiting my parents.

I am hopeful that the friends of the teenager will do the same in the coming years. I hope they will find our home a safe refuge from the world. Plus, this way I can keep an eye on what they're doing. Hmm, maybe that is what the Wizard was doing...

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

The Wizard is a pretty smart cookie. Does he still have to New Years Eve breakfast? Can I come? What did you do this year, if there wasn't a breakfast?

Their was a regional singles dance this year and Bonnie's ward decided to have their own party. TF and I went out to dinner and couldn't stay up till midnight. We usually have a traditional New Years Day dinner, so I was busy preparing for that.

It is important to make your home feel comfortable for the teenagers friends. Bonnie's friends were over hear all the time. I overheard one of them say that our house was comfortable.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My life was not so great, but I'm always glad to hear that there are people in th world who have had that.

:)

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh King, Oh King, if you only knew how many potential friends I chased off because they would have been a bad influence in your life. I would personally meet with the parents of some of the iffy friends that you would bring home and I would tell them how much I appreciated their son for befriending you, I told them it was hard for you to make friends since you had just been released from detention, for possession of a control substance. It was very interesting how many of those parents would never allow their sons to be your friend. I was happy that I didn't have to chase many of them away...... I am only kidding, oops I forgot that I was going to be a kinder person in 2006.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Fei said...

Oh, it's good to be back here - and not behind a proxy server! Stupid Great Firewall of China.

The district throws a annual talent show followed by a dance every New Year's Eve, but apparently nobody here believes in babysitters and we missed the memo on the "no dances till you're 14" thing, so I have memories of going to these dances since I was 7 or so. This year, there were probably more chilren dancing than adults.

My parents are smart about the inviting friends over thing. Of all the other kids, we have had the most sleepovers, birthday parties at home. And the dance parties I threw were all when Mommy and Daddy were home.

I tried to bring my friends from China home too, but then my parents might get the wrong idea...

12:43 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Yum, yum, yum . . .please don't come over and read about my New Year's Eve party. It didn't have that nice G-rated feel to it unfortunately.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about my oldest and know that if my husband and I would have agreed to stopping the friendship that he has with this boy then he might still be at home.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home