Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Note on Activism

I think I am a bleeding heart liberal disguised as a super-conservative.

Today, I wrote my first letter to a Senator and it had to do with a bill being introduced by an Idahoan of all people. It is a bill designed to streamline and reform the Endangered Species Act and cut some of the bureaucratic red tape surrounding Endangered Species designation. The end result, according to my friends at the Save The Manatee Club is the destruction of a great deal of natural habitat and the introduction of a willy-nilly designation for future species hoping to get the "Endangered" tag. Well, I couldn't let that happen now could I? I mean if I am adopting a sea cow, I've got to look after it and protect its habitat.

Now, I know the conservatives that I so often side with on a number of different issues, may call me foolish, but I read the whole bill and it stinks. Really it does. Allowing developers to destroy habitat if they will "donate" or "buy" into another species? Who makes the determination as to which species gets precedent?

To many of my readers, this will seem a trifle, but I encourage those of you who care about our sea cow to click on the Sea Cow Central link on my blogroll and read about how you can help.

Whew. Now that that is over, I am going to go eat some beef.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

There's nothing wrong with saving a sea cow!

I hope you, the wife, teenager, touchdown, wizard, and my namesake all have a Merry Christmas. What about Mrs. Wizard? You never seem to include her. MERRY CHRISTMAS MRS. WIZARD!

1:02 PM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

Congress has no trouble protecting skunks, why not manatees.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Indigo for gestures of glad tidings. About Mrs. Wizard, she thinks the King and I are crazy, and she refuses to banter back and forth. She is a Holiday crazed person, and enjoys nothing more than the Holiday seasons. She is a wonderful woman and tells me what to do all day long............Merry Christmas to all of the visitors to Wizard Land...oops I mean WilkeWorld. Sorry King, I suppose you won't tell them who won the last three games of Texas Hold em. I suppose you will only refer to the first 4 games........

6:03 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas over here at Wilkeworld. I hope your holidays are peaceful and fun filled.

I'll try to refrain from commenting on the bleeding heart liberal post you've posted here . . .I'm glad to hear though that you read the bill yourself as opposed to just taking someone else's interpretation to heart.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You know that just because you are a consertative you don't have to agree with everything they do. I am a consertative too and, living along the boarder, I have a few bones to pick with the administration on illegal immigration. Stand for what you believe in but if you turn into a Harry Reid, I'll.....never mind.

Hope you, the queen, the teenager, touchdown, Indy, the Wizzard and his wife, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

Lucy, did you say you posted the recipe for funeral potatoes someplace? My recipe seems to be missing.

6:14 PM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

Just visting again (as I do almost every day) to wish you and the royal family Merry Christmas.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home