Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Note on Wizard Wisdom--Part I

I am so sorry that I have be so lax in posting this week. I think it is one of those "I need a break from the blog" moments that we all seem to have every so often. Nothing serious, just a break in the old routine.

This week for some reason I have been very interested in a little document that the Wizard wrote a few years ago. It is entitled, "I Believe in Parenting: A Commitment to our Children", and it was written as kind of a code of ethics for parents in general; as envisioned by my father. I tease my father on this blog relentlessly (for good reason), but I have to tell him that since I have my own children now, I have found this little document profound in the deepest sense.

For the next several days, I wish to share this document with all of you. It includes 12 simple axioms that, if adhered to, will lead to a great deal of happiness in your life. Do with it as you please. I present here the first three...

1. I Believe...

It is important I understand my eternal relationship to my God. This understanding should direct my thoughts and deeds.

I am a Child of God.
I have the responsibility to act like one.
I deserve to be treated like one.

2. I believe...

It is essential to truly love my marriage partner, and it should be evident to my children by how I treat her/him.

3. I believe...

I must learn to know the hearts of my children. I will listen to their words. I will observe their actions. I will not judge their behavior prematurely. As I learn to understand their hearts, I truly can serve as a resource for them as they encounter life's experiences.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good so far. Can't wait to read the rest. If I may, I think that it would be interesting to add the following to number 2:

My spouse is a Child of God.
I have the responsibility to treat him/her like one.
My spouse deserve to be treated like one.

And to add to number 3:

They are Children of God.
I have the responsibility to treat them like one.
They deserve to be treated like one.

For me, the fact that my children are children of God also provides me with a greater sense of responsibility to love and care for the with the same compassion and instruction that the Lord gives us as his children. So, I would have personally added this. Also it's a bit poetic.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

Ah I love #2 ... love and respect and marriage should always come packaged together like that!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I knew the Wizard would have some good words of wisdom. I think we need to post our list so that we remember what we should be doing. Parenting is a hard job, probably the hardest job we have. I know that I have made some mistakes, but that is all part of the learning process. Maybe that is why it is so much easier being a grandparent. We step back and just enjoy our children. By then, we have hopefully learned from our mistakes and do a better job with the grandchildren.

Knowing that we are children of God is a trememdous help. When we need help, we can pray and listen for answers. Can't wait to see the rest of the Wizard's list.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

I knew I loved that man from the first time I read his comments . . .if I beg could you make this available as a Word document . . .so I can store it on my computer and open it as a reminder of the parent I want to be.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

The Wizard is a wonderful Dad! No wonder that you are, too, Sir K Jones!!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home