Sunday, January 15, 2006

A Note on Customer Service

Seriously, does anyone at all feel that a forty minute wait in a check-out line at a Walmart SuperStore is excessive?

Yes, I know that I probably could have gone to Target or K-mart and probably got the same scrap of inferior plastic, but I was there and I'd already committed myself to the first twenty minutes, so I stayed to the bitter end.

In defense of Walmart, it was a Thursday night at 8:15 p.m. (hardly a critical high volume time) and it was a jungle in there. Every half-derelict in a three county area was buying Ho-Ho's, cheap diapers and power tools. It was White-Trashapalooza wrapped in a thin cloak of Mormon conservativism (i.e. We Mormons like our Blue Light Specials).

I guess I should have expected it. After all, even the mega-big-box stores have lost every ounce of customer service. Why? Because they can. Where else are you going to buy a DVD player for $34.95? The problem is that it is now so pervasive. The doctor's office (where my wife arrived for her 4:10 appointment only to wait for an hour and a half before being seen), the bank (where they voided my debit card without telling me only to have me look like a fool when I tried to pay for some treats at the golf course), and the city (where they promised the construction site right next to my home wouldn't work after dusk only to have them spend a full month working day AND night) have all dissed me in the last month because they can.

I feel fed up, but I am left with few options. Where else can I go? I don't want to move. My finances are completely tied to my bank. Finding a new doctor is a royal pain. So what will I do?

I will blog about it in hopes that you will empathize.

10 Comments:

Blogger dana said...

Hello, Michele sent me.

Oh I empathize with you. Something happened to the world, maybe it was the disappearance of that close sense of community. Its an unsolved mystery.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Hi!
I came over from the game on Michele's site-
And I feel your pain about Wal-mart... once you've invested time, there's no going back!! I'm pretty sure that's how they get you...

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh don't get started on Walmart..
ahahah

over from the other Michele's.
m

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I totally emphathize. However, Walmart???? Have you not heard that Walmart is evil?

7:09 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Forty Minutes!!! Yes, that is way beyond excessive. . .

Anita

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I onced waited so long in a doctors office that I had to ask them for food. I was having a low blood sugar attack. If your not sick when you went in you will be after waiting so long.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I completely empathize. However, I've learned my lesson about WalMart. Been there, done that! Now I pretty much hit the place only before 8a.m.

8:48 AM  
Blogger kmsqrd said...

Walmart makes me claustrophobic and creeps me out so I don't go. The doctor's office problem has been around for a very long time, I try to remember a book for that one. As for the rest of it, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry the world's been bitting back lately.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here use my shoulder.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I was in Wal-Mart around 5:00pm. today and the lines were horendous...I finally found one in the middle of the check-outs with only three people in front of me. I lucked out! Like marie, I try to go to Wal-Mart in the early morning hours to avoid lines.

Hang in there K and be glad that you didn't have Touchdown and Indy in line with you.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home