Thursday, January 12, 2006

A List of Words that Touchdown Doesn't Understand

My wife and the Wizard will probably laugh themselves silly with this post, but I am sure that I am a good parent nevertheless. When Touchdown gets put in timeout, I always feel that I should use the timeout as a place to teach her proper principles. The problem is that I am no good at talking to three-year-olds that are smarter than I am, so I resort to big words. These are the most recent blunders.

1. Focus--I think she understands that I am asking her to do something, but she can't quite grasp what it is.

2. Responsibility--She knows she should take it for her actions but she doesn't know what it is.

3. Actually--I think she gets this one pretty well (she uses it in sentences)

4. Comprehend--I must have lost it altogether to even use this one in a sentence with her.

5. Discussion--She knows were having one but I don't think she knows just what it means.

I am sure others will show up to baffle and confuse and I am sure the Wife will remind me of a few others. I must be the most confusing father of all time, but I pity the debate teacher that gets her in 13 years.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

No different than reading the scriptures. I bet she understands more than you think.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep using those "big" words. It will help her with her vocabulary. And one day she will figure out that it is okay to ask what they mean. Then it become your job to teach her.

Here's a few that you should try on her:
prevaricate
assault
paternal unit (hmmm.. maybe not too liberal)
sibling

And just to use them in a sentence: "You may not prevaricate to your paternal unit after assaulting your sibling, Indy." Man that should keep her head spinning for hours.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

You forgot patience. I love it when you ask her "Touchdown, why can't you just have a little patience?"

Thanks
Heidi

6:22 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Zoe has a tough time with yesterday, tomorrow and today. She'll say 'remember when I did that tomorrow?' Uh, no, tomorrow is a day that isn't here yet.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I'm ready to start time-outs with my son (22 months)... good to know I can come here for pointers on what to say! ;-)

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some words I expect my teens to understand and they look at me with awe

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home