Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Note on Purgatory

As many of you are aware, the Wizard puts together a horse race every year called the Purgatory Cup. You can access his website in my blogroll if you like. Well, today was the day of the big event and the whole family went out to help the old man at the track. I just have to say how proud I am of my family for all of their hard work and how proud I am of the Wizard for how he conducts that event.

Here in Utah we have no pari-mutual betting which means that putting together a legitimate event is almost unheard of, but the Wizard does it each and every year. I emcee the thing and the Teenager and the Wife are the wheels that run the show, and they were stars today. The Wizard's wife (my mother) and my brother (known here as Jedora) were also there today lending their support and doing their part. They, too, are all-stars.

Wizard, I lament every year that you do this crazy thing, but I am always so satisfied after its done. We really make a difference to the people of this community and it is rewarding to have that feeling. I hope you keep doing it. I am so tired right now. I am about to pas........zzzzzz.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that my family puts up with my idiocacy. About 6 years people told me I couldn't make horse racing work in Utah. I just happen to believe that the horses are so magnificent, and it is not the pari-mutual gambling that makes it great, it is the horses. Our purses this year ranged from $5000 to $35,000. I thank my family, they are real troopers, and I too am having leg cramps and I won't be sleeping tonight, and I will wonder why I do it, but it is alot like a pregnacy, in a few months I will forget the pain and I will want to do it again....Thanks again family.....

10:28 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

Well done guys! How much money did you raise?

3:13 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Jo,
We put on the horse races really at a loss. We don't make a dime. This year, as in every year, we do have a charity event and raised several thousand dollars for the charity. I guess you could say we do all of this for the love of the community and the horses.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you think of horse racing, many think of drinking, gambling, smoking and all of the other vices that may be applied. I have this committment that I believe that you don't need gambling, and at the fair grounds in Washington, County you can't drink alcohol. We have a wonderful track, but we don't have a covered grandstand and it can be very hot. What makes me think that we can have successful race meet. I just believe that horse racing is a great athletic event, but in order for the event to grow, we are going to have to put some shade at the fair grounds, and we are going to have to do other activites that people enjoy rather than gambling and drinking. I believe that it can be done, and I hope my family doesn't give up until I die.........So if any of you have a spare $20 for shade for the grandstand, your donation would be greatly appreciated..Just kidding Lucy.....

8:44 AM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

I meant for charity ... thousands of dollars?!? Well done you lot, that's what it is all about!

p.s. "I am personally challenging you all to top me in the challenge and then come back here and talk trash." Haloscan wont let me talk trash I'm afraid :o)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Just Kidding Lucy.... Heck, I was going to send you a twenty.

It really does sound like a lot of fun. I am always telling my kids that a person can have fun without drinking and smoking. Look at some of the activities they come up with for our youth. I'm glad that you are having so much fun with your horse racing event....Keep it going Grandpa.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Grandpa, go to the grocery store and buy some Tonic Water. It has Quinine in it and it will quell leg cramps in a jiffy. TF uses it a lot during the summer. With all our heat he gets leg cramps more than he should. Mix it was some Orange Juice or Grape juice and it will do the trick.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how sweet is that?

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home