Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Note on Sterility

Perplexing problem here at WilkeWorld. I am trying to establish the rule of how long a piece of food may rest on the floor before it becomes inedible. I know that each household has a different rule so I need some suggestions. In Paraguay, we had the 5-second rule but my wife is a little bit concerned that the 5-second rule is perhaps a tad Third World, so I think she might be opting for the 3-second rule.

Here are the particulars of the household. The Wife is quite fastidious about the cleanliness of the home in general and thoroughly mops the floor once a week and sweeps the floor daily if not several times a day. We do have a two-year-old and a teenager so factor that into the equation.

Of course, I am fully aware that the food being consumed will have a great deal to do with the rule's practical application. For example, a Dorito may sit nearly 20 seconds before it becomes inedible while a piece of broccoli need only touch the ground before it is deemed inedible. Actually, Doritos really don't fall under the reach of this rule at all. I mean I've found Doritos days after spilling them on the ground and they are perfectly delicious.

Suggestions, please.

12 Comments:

Blogger Le laquet said...

What pets do you have? I'll factor them in and come back with my equation!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

No pets. Thankfully my stepdaughter is violently allergic to cats and dogs, so we have no pets.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Silverboh said...

When you said 5 seconds in a Third world country I was thinking, ok, makes sense, it's probably dirty. So I was expecting the time on the floor to be able to go up. Whne it's cleaner it would take longer to get bad, right? Oh well, to each his own. I personally use the 10 second rule on dry type foods, and maybe 3 or 4 seconds for wet foods, thouhg many times those go in the trash.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

I think the seconds rule is all relative. Wet foods, especially vegetables, are automatically inedible the second they touch the food, according to my kids. On the other hand, a potato chip, piece of sugary cereal, or a cookie found on the floor (before the ants get to it) is perfectly okay to eat. Personally, I apply the 5 second rule, depending on the cleanliness of the kitchen floor. And who's watching! ;)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

We use the 5 second rule, unless one of the dogs near it, then it goes straight into their mouths, or the trash.

Kid could care less about some lousy rule though. She'll eat it even if it has been sniffed/licked/chewed by a dog.

8:02 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Yep, if you have no pets, the food is safe, but if you do - then toss it pronto!

Michele sent me.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lu said...

if it splatters when it hits the floor...by all means don't eat it...otherwise...you should be good to go ;)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Tracy S said...

HIya :)
Hope you are having a great weekend ..
Here via Michele's

8:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wet things or things that splatter or immediately stick to the floor are inedible. Dry foods are a matter of personal preference.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, if you have no pets, then dry food is probably ok for at least the 5 second rule! But wet food is still a complete no-no as soon as it hits the floor - this is of course just my equation!!
Jo / le laquet

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In an old Peanuts cartoon, Snoopy declares, “Anything that falls on the floor is legally mine”.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that the two prevailing rules have very little to do with time. I believe they have alot to do with:
1. Who witnessed the food falling on the floor?
2. How much did I like the food that fell?

It has been my experience, as these two rules presented themselves, the length of time varied as much as seconds to minutes. I have even put a good piece of meat that had fallen to the ground on a salad plate, and waited until people left or forgot and then I finished the meat. It had little loss of flavor and was just as satisfying.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home