Friday, May 27, 2005

A Note on the Glory Years

So, school's out and today I got the first glimpse of my stepdaughter's yearbook. The school had a solid year. People were cool and cute and popular and nerdy. My stepdaughter showed me the picture that she thought her leg might have been in. A big moment for her, I'm sure. Apparently, "U R a QT" is still the preferred yearbook signing phrase with "HAGS" a close second. I got a little nostalgic.

Anyway, the yearbook got me thinking of the glory days. That's right, it got me thinking of 6th Grade, Mr. Simmons' class. K Jones finally conquered his greatest nemesis and stood atop the podium as Minidoka County Spelling Bee Champion.

The nemesis: Bonnie K

Oh, she was the Yankees, Cowboys, and Celtics all wrapped up in one. She was from a neighboring little town and entered the 6th grade competition as the two time defending County Spelling Bee Champion. She had destroyed the competition (including me) for two straight years and she entered the auditorium with a well deserved air of confidence. We were all in awe of her (on a sidenote, in high school, she let me drive her Camaro. I rock).

The competition began and the pretenders soon fell by the wayside and before long only the two of us remained. I remember it like this.....

"K, your word is buffalo."
"b-u-f-f-a-l-0"
"Bonnie, your word is flocculate."
"f-l-o-c-c-u-l-a-t-e"
"K, your word is haystack."
"h-a-y-s-t-a-c-k"
"Bonnie, your word is somatopleure."
"s-o-m-a-t-o-p-l-e-u-r-e"
"K, your word is angry."
"a-n-g-r-y"
"Bonnie, your word is thremmatology."
"t-h-r-e-m-a-t-o-l-o-g-y"

Ah, the good old days. Minidoka County Spelling Bee Champion. By the way, I am spellchecking this right now.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

BWAHAHAHAHA! That is just too great. I was a horrible speller in elementary school. That changed in high school and now one of my tasks at work is proofreading and I write on the side. LOL.

Like you blog. Here from Michele's!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

Post made me chortle - Isn't it really scary as a kid to be up there under all that pressure? I wouldn't be able to link 2 letters together!!

p.s. your stalker sent me!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Fei said...

K Jones, I do believe your readership is getting larger by the post! Dreams of fame soon to be realized?

In the spelling bees I took part in, you had to come up with a word yourself, begninning with the last letter of the last word, and increasing in number of syllables. You know, there are only so many 3 syllable Y words and 4 syllable N words. Grr.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Lu said...

Great post! i remember those spelling bees too. I also remember getting my annual and searching it over and over for pics that i might have made it in. :)

here from michele's

Lu

6:55 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

lmao... it also takes me back to giggle fits, lockers that would never open and the smells from the cafeteria wafting down the halls. My youngin hates school, sigh. Some day he will learn that these are the best days.

I also did the spelling bee's but never won. Congrats! Hi from Michele!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Fei said...

Now, if only my blog were as appealing to outsiders, all I'd need is a single Michele on my readership and fame would be automatic.

Oh if I were funny...

7:18 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I never did well in the spelling bees in school, but am the walking dictionary at work. Forget spellcheck, they just page for me.

12:10 PM  
Blogger xtessa said...

hey, here via michele's meet 'n' greet!

yep, you made me think of my spelling bee days, too. btw, why do they call it a Bee, instead of a spelling competition? all these years, i never bothered to ask!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Oh, I loved spelling bee's - that is where all the cute boys were, or at least my definition of cute. oh, and of course the younger me always spelled cute with a k.

Hmm, perhaps that is why I never won?

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home