Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Note on Morbidity

My wife and I have had this argument a plethora of times but for some reason the events of this week have brought it up again. Let me review...

1. I bought my wife a knot ficus about 6 months ago and she has all but killed it. It now sits by her tub with nary a leaf to be found.

2. I found out that one of my neighbors directed the tearjerker film, "Where the Red Fern Grows". You know, the film where the dogs die at the end and I cry uncontrollably.

3. We visited the town of Blanding, Utah on my last trip and took a picture of my Granddad and Grandma's headstones.

4. A close friend recently passed away.

Well, now on to the argument. I have always envisioned a scenario where my wife and I would be buried side-by-side atop a hilltop with pretty flowers blossoming above our graves. We would also be buried somewhere that has meaning for the both of us. Perhaps where we both grew up or where we live now. A place where family would visit and feel of our collective spirits. Well, my wife has informed me she will be buried in Malad, Idaho.

Malad, Idaho?

Her family has a plot there and she insists that's where we will be buried. She has never lived there, nor have I. I don't want to be buried in Malad, Idaho. Nothing against Malad, but we have no connection as a couple to Malad. My wife, however, says that if I die first, Malad it is.

Should I really care or should I keep angling for a burial somewhere else? I know that nobody wants to think about this kind of thing, but if I don't think about it now, I will be buried next to I-15 in Malad, Idaho.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fei said...

I'd do 2 things.

1) Make sure I don't die first.

2) Move to Malad, Idaho and make meaningful memories there.

If you can't do either, at the very least, the horror of being in Malad dead will pale in contrast to being in Malad alive.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Malad has a great burger joint just of the free way. It's a greasy spoon type place. If you get buried there, then you can just haunt the local greasy spoon. At least you can look forward to having something to do when you are dead. Who cares if no one will ever visit your grave site. You will be too busy squirting ketchup all over the patrons of the burger joint.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a hypothetical question or do you actually have a say in the matter? May suggest a little more practice on the girlfriend fight simulator.

Where The Red Fern Grows...how cool! In grade school I met the author Wilson Rawls at a book signing. I treasured that book.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I've thought of this all day.... and I still don't know what to write. We have not even come close to discussing this. All we've talked about is how I'm going to put Hubby in the ground with a purse (because he won't hold mine in public), and I'll put coconut in all his pockets (because he hates it); and in turn he's going to fill my pockets with paprika (because I hate it). Yeah, we're so in love. ;-)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Faye--Moving to Malad is out of the question, so, yeah, dead in Malad is better than live in Malad.

Travis--I know the joint and I feel like its already haunted.

Terry--I have no say in the matter.

Indigo--My wife better back off the coconut.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

Ok, I have been pretty quiet through the whole blogging ordeal. I am actually quite proud of my silence since I am "the material". But this time he has crossed the line. Malad is a lovely place to be buried, and if his fear is that he will never be visited, then he is quite mis-informed. Anyone with ties to Southern Idaho knows that Memorial Day is the the biggest holiday celebrated. There are parades, salutes to veterans, picnics, and loads of fake flowers. I guess the bottom line is, I am not too worried. Even if I die first, the plots are paid for. Need I say more.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home