Saturday, May 21, 2005

A Note on Cheating on My Wife

Before everyone gets in a huff about this post, let me say that I don't cheat on my wife except at canasta if she happens to be on the opposing team. That being said, I am always intrigued by the way that the spiders work on Google's AdSense. When I began blogging I naively believed that I would be instantaneously popular and thousands upon thousands of people would flock to my site. So....I signed up for Google AdSense hoping to cash in on my imminent popularity. To date, I have earned a whopping $.57 but I have learned some interesting lessons.

When I signed up, I was informed that Google would randomly peruse my site and find the most appropriate ads for my site. They would do this using spiders or keyword locators. At first the ads were simply for blogs, but as I added more content the spiders would get more accurate. Well, all was peachy until this week when I posted "A Note on Cheating the Diet", "A Note on My Wife", and "A Note on Personal Idiocy" (where I mentioned my Mormon mission). The wonderful spiders can't interpret content, they can only see key words and feed them back into the master program often coming up with interesting results.

As of this writing, the ads at the bottom of this page are as follows: Is Your Wife Cheating on You?, Meet Sexy LDS Singles, LDS Temple Pictures, and Infidelity Investigators.

Yes, my site is a haven for cheated upon LDS men searching for eternal happiness. Oh, the wonders of modern technology. I am a little concerned that my entry entitled, "A Note on Poop" may just make my site unreadable. Lock up the women and children, WilkeWorld is now PG-13.

7 Comments:

Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

Hee, hee! That's funny!

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As of this comment the all seeing eye of Google has defined you as an "Alcohol Fruit Punch" drinking "Mormon" that's "Cheating On Your Spouse".

7:21 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's hilarious! FWIW, I had a QOTD about ordering coffee at Starbucks, and I think my ad was something about starting your own coffee business. So .... how many clicks does it take to get to $.57?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

I click on Google ads in blogs because I get bored reading them. I clicked yours.
You're not really supposed to discuss your earnings or clicks in Adsense because it's against the policy, or whatever. But in 111 clicks I've made over $20.
I'll stop by and clickity click your ads once in a while. Sometimes I actually find some of them that I actually enjoy :o)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Fei said...

lol. Phew. You had me worried for a little while there.

I thought about adding ads once, but before I did, a friend of mine beat me to it, and since I already stole blogging from him, the last thing I wanted to do was make him think that I did it just because he did.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead, out of curiousity. I really want to know what the spiders will come up with.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That's tooo funny! I'll watch out for the updated ads...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Joseph Smith, jr. said...

Interesting blog. Enjoyed reading it.

Sincerely,

Joseph Smith Jr.
the truth about mormons
http://www.whatismormonism.com

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home