Monday, May 23, 2005

A Note on Serendipity

An ex-girlfriend from high school e-mailed my mother a few years ago and asked how I was doing. My mother responded that I was hopelessly single and living in Las Vegas to which my ex casually suggested I look up an old high school classmate who was also single. So began the serendipitous relationship with my wife.

I never looked her up, but one day I got a phone call from her telling me she would be visiting Vegas and suggesting that we get lunch or dinner or something. Well, she showed up and looked amazing, but I was crazy busy so we arranged to go to breakfast. Breakfast was pleasant as we caught up on the high school gossip and recounted the almost 1o years since we'd seen each other. I, however, didn't see any real possibility for a relationship as we lived a long way away from each other, so we parted with a hug and a handshake and wished each other a pleasant life.

I really didn't think too much of the encounter after that day until nearly five months later when I planned a trip to her area of the country visiting a friend who was lining me up with a few girls he knew. I remember packing my bags and rummaging through my single guy filth trying to find some change for a taxi when I stumbled across a piece of paper with her home phone number scribbled on it. "What the heck?" I thought and tossed it in my pocket. Four months later, the love of my life and I got married.

Serendipity is a funny thing. It jumps on us with no warning and no preparation and surprises and delights us. I think serendipity is God's way of throwing us a bone every once in a while.

To the citizens of WilkeWorld, I want to know the role of serendipity in your lives. How did it find you and how did you take advantage of it?

10 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Citizens of WilkeWorld? (Looks around and wonders if the Mayor is looking at me?) I don't have to pay taxes as a citizen, do I?

I know exactly how it entered my life, and it all started with Hubby taking a swing at some drunk, who fell down (drunk guy) before he (Hubby) could make contact. The drunk broke his arm, and the police report said "Hubby broke the drunk's arm". Which, I'll agree, wouldn't have happened if he hadn't taken a swing at him, however he didn't even touch the guy. At least that's the story....

So, one thing let to another and he moved from Minnesota to his hometown in Wisconsin. We met days after he moved home, and were married 11 months later.

If it weren't for the drunk guy with the broken arm, we'd never have met.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! lol..."Citizens of WilkeWorld" (I nominate gramps for sheriff). Hrmm...serendipity...I'll have to come back to this one.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I never met until College. However, we lived less than a mile away from each other several times. We have 4 high school teachers in common. Perhaps the truly serendipitous parts of it is that my wife probably wouldn't have given me a chance, because she was dating someone (at least during the dating years) until she got to college and we met.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

I could invite you to read the series underway on my blog in order to give a complete answer on the role of serendipity in my life, or I could say it here quicker by stating that the girl I am now married to found me on the beach.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Fei said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Fei said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Fei said...

My boyfriend found me through my blog, linking to it from my comment at Feminist Mormon Housewives.

Of course, it's not a beautiful "And then we got married and lived happily ever after" story - yet. But I still think it's cool to be able to say "Feminist Mormon Housewives" in my love story.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Kinseeker said...

Serendipity happens regularly, mostly in small ways. The really big, life changing, course-correcting ones are marvelous. But the small ones need to be identified and appreciated, too.

http://kinseeker.blogspot.com/2005/03/serendipity.html

8:16 AM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

I met my husband 6 years ago in Yahoo Chat!

Serendipity? I hear you say ..... it was my first evening (of many) on the Internet , my first visit to a chat room and he was the first person I spoke to!!

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://hermeshandbags.finniwolf.com sort out a pale dangers variety at at the same time angle together with the break sack. the kids get to associated with trek corner and / or travelling bag this to produce lunches hermes diamond snacks. quite often, the top features of these rest room towels are the private variations these grow trinkets as well as promotional materials spent on agencies.
http://hermessale.finniwolf.com

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home