Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Note on Memories

On a little different tack today, I wanted to talk about memories (not the cheesy, all-too-common, Doritos-and-Pepsi-at-the-party kind of memories, but the truly influential, important memories that we share with people that really matter in our lives).

Brianna recently wrote of some of the memories she shared with a friend whose husband just passed away. It got me thinking of the wonderful people in my life that have shared so much with me over the years. I think sometimes that I take those memories for granted. I take for granted that my best friend in high school helped me save a kid who had broken his hip and had gone into shock after falling from a 60-ft cliff into the Snake River. I forget that my first kiss was with a wonderfully charming young lady whose mother was killed in a car wreck only a year after that first kiss. I forget that one of my co-workers at Fendi went to bat for me when I really needed her to.

I guess I sometimes take for granted the sacrifices that my friends and acquaintances have made for me over the years. I sometimes forget that they struggle with life just like I do. I have lost contact with the friends I mentioned earlier. I hear through the grapevine how they are doing, but I rarely find it in me to seek them out and give them a friendly greeting or a slap on the back.

I will be better.

I hope you, too, will be better.

7 Comments:

Blogger MorahMommy said...

What a lovely post.

We often get caught up within our lives and this is a nice reminder to stop and reconnect.

I too, will be better.

Michele sent me, tonight.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice message to your blog today. It is really sad that life goes so quickly and we lose touch with some amazing friends. I set a day aside, and I make a list of significant people in my life, and I give them a call. It is really strange. Many of them ask, if I have cancer or am I going to die. I usually thank them for being a part of my life, and I ask them about their life, wife, family, job etc....It has been a good practice. I would let your mate know what you are doing so they don't become suspicious.....

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad to see something I wrote got you thinking about your old friendships. I hate how it can take something awful happening for us to think about those past relationships. Sounds like you have had some amazing people cross your path.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Jedora Rules said...

That's weird G-pa Jones and K. I never got a phone call.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Why do we let ourselves get so busy that we don't take time to go back and say thank-you. Time flys so fast and before you know it you are getting old and have grown kids.

Guess I need to look up some old friends.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» »

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home