Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Note on Senility

What really bugs me is when my increasingly senile parents beat me in Canasta.

It's not that they beat me, it's how they beat me. My mother suddenly discovers she had an extra ace hiding behind that 4 or my father finally figures out he has three of a kind sitting in his hand the whole time. Neither one of them remembers their glasses when they come over so they have to sit and hold their cards at arms-length just to see them and then they often can't tell the difference between the cards. You would think we should be able to defeat them at will and yet somehow they manage to sneak victory from the hands of defeat all the time. Tonight's tally. Old folks--2, King and Queen--1.

I can just see my father gloating as he reads this. I think I'm going to be sick.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh King, Oh King, as your mother and I got into the car, she looked at me and said "Did I play the dumb woman role tonight?" I told her that she did and it worked to a tee. I don't know how many people play canasta, but it is a game grandma and I love to play. The king doesn't venture out of the castle to often, so it makes for a nice evening for us to go to their home and play games. So king, the little talk about a missing ace or the three of kind in my hand, it is all part of the poker face you must develop if you plan of becoming competitive at the game.........

11:11 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like Grandpa and Grandma are smart cookies. The King seems rather gullible. Ha ha. Sorry King.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Boy, did he hit the wrong blog...

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

King, oh King, inform your Kingdom of what is happening in your life. I think all will be delighted to hear about the new happenings........

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband always beats me at cards. I don't play to win against him.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home