Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Note on the Other Indy

As many of you know, I am a bit of an archaeology buff and have been to about 30 Mayan sites and last year the girls and I went to Mesa Verde on an archaeology tour of sorts. Well, I have an anthropology degree from the University of Utah and, although I love it so much, I never really thought much about the possibility of persuing a career in that field. I always just thought it would be a hobby of sorts. In fact, I stopped applying for Forest Service jobs and BLM jobs several years ago.

Fast forward to this week. The Wife is planning a hike for Girl's Camp for the Teenager and herself and needed to talk to the Camp Director (a lady from our neighborhood and a member of our religious congregation). In the course of the conversation, both women lament the fact that their husbands are archaeology geeks and that their husbands' interests are sooooooo boring. They both laughed before the Camp Director lady confided that her husband is an actual archaeologist and is, in fact, looking for someone to hire on to help him with his business.

The plotters conspired and the archaeologist guy called me and invited me on a survey. I went. I almost died of exhaustion. He liked my work (I guess) and offered me a job.

So, anyway, today I am a professional archaeologist. Go figure. The whole thing has been such a remarkable blessing. I am Indiana Jones.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Indy! What a huge deal! Isn't it amazing the things that come from women talking! Take your wife out on a nice date to celebrate your good fortune and success!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

About time you used that degree. Congradulations! Do you live that close to Mesa Verde? I have been there twice and loved it both times. My daughter, Bonnie, wanted to move there and live on the cliff dwellings. She was 14 at the time and has since changed her mind.

Once again, Congradulations! Don't forget to tell us about your new job and what you find. Our girls went to girls camp three weeks ago. I loaned out several 5 gallon water containers so that our girls didn't get dehydrated.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is only fair that we call you Ranger Tom, Congrats. I await to see how the SAHD routine gets worked out. Let me know if Grandma can help.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Congrats to you!!!! You are officially the first archaeologist that I know.

Have you worked on your lasso technique, and have you practiced outrunning huge boulders? Might come in handy .....

How will this effect being a SAHD and seller of furniture?

8:05 AM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

This is wonderful news!
I'm so glad for you/envy you. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

COOL!!! Wow, that's a big change from sales! Have fun!! We need pics of your finds!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Dr. Jones (said like Shorty from the Temple of Doom). Do you wear a hat and carry a whip.

Oh, but if it is Ranger Tom... Well, I love that show too. It's too bad the G.pa Jones doesn't understand me much, because I think we have an aweful lot in common.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home