Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A Note on Late Nights

Oh, the things you'll do for your kids.

"Daddy, Daddy!!!" my 2-year-old screamed at the top of her lungs at 1:45 a.m. My wife, of course, awoke first and dashed down the hallway with surprising lucidity at that hour. To her horror, the scene was not pretty.

"Honey!" she, too, screamed at 1:46 a.m. I stumbled clumsily out of my luxurious digs and ambled my way down the hallway to find my little angel covered in vomit. Not your run of the mill vomit, but vomit induced by a calculated mixture of chocolate milk and red Twizzlers. The chunks hanged precariously from her recently quaffed hair. And then she said the words no father wants to hear in that situation.

"Hold me," she cried pitifully.

I wanted so badly to tell her that mama would hold her, but the wife was dry heaving in the corner so I held out my arms and my frightened little one fell into them. So, with both of us dripping vomit at different angles we sloshed to the bathroom where Mom was preparing a warm bath.

Note to self--Twizzler chunks dipped in chocolate vomit do not break up in lavender bath salts.

Rinse, repeat. Yeah, that's right. We repeated this procedure three times during the night and before I knew it I was lying in a heap on the living room floor watching Madeline in my newly donned PJs thrusting the puke bucket into my angel's face as she quivered feverishly.

As we speak, she is back to her normal self, but for a precious day and a half, we had lethargy-girl. It wasn't so bad. I will gladly take a bit of vomit to the shoulder for a day of peace and quiet.

21 Comments:

Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

Oh,my! I am so thankful that two of my kids are old enough to make it to the bathroom on their own! Of course, that still leaves two whose vomit I'll have to catch for a few years yet...bleah!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you, I really do. This past weekend Babygirl crawled up into my lap, announced that she wasn't feeling well and proceded to vomit all over me.

We weren't home....

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the man. You see, I would be the one in the corner doing the dry heaving thing. There have been times when I had to be the dad in these situations, and I tell you. I is hard to get it all with you arm extended at full length and your head turned the other way.

I hope she continues to be alright.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Eew. I don't think I've heard "hold me" come out of Zoe's mouth yet after she's been covered with puke. Thank God.

I hope she's feeling better.

This reminds me of a time when we were watching my cousin, who was about 2 years old. We took him to dinner and there was someone dressed as Elmo and Cookie Monster. He screamed and cried. I sat him in my lap facing me so I could comfort him, and then puked chocolate shake all over my white t-shirt. Yeah. That sucked.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, no kids for us for ... for ... at least until I forget this story! lol

And Hello, Michele sent me.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Man! What a nice Daddy! Puke is one of the only bad things about being a parent!

Hello, Michele sent me!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele didn't exactly send me *today*, as I've had you blogrolled for a week or two now, but I noticed you were the site of the day, so I'm saying hi, anyway.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Uggghhhh! If I could rid the world of anything, it would be night time vomiting episodes! Well done you on handling it all so well.

Hello, Michele sent me!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hello, Michele sent me. Yech! So glad I don't have children!!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor little one.. I hope she keeps feeling better.. and yes.. the night shift isn't always the nicest one :)
Thank you that my little one has never done this... but I'm sure it will come some day...

Take care!

BTW, Michele sent me

12:59 AM  
Blogger Mrs M said...

Morning! Michelle sent me, and I'm so glad I read your post while eating my breakfast ;-)

2:07 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I salute you - I'd have been in the corner dry-heaving, too.

Hello, Michele sent me!

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad she's feeling better.

I used to hate it when one of the kids'd be sick all night and run me ragged -- but they awake next day bright-eyed ready to romp and stomp while I'd still be in a stupor from the night before.

Love it that mine are on their own now.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Star said...

HI. Michele sent me. Hope the little one is feeling better. Not the best part of being a parent!

3:35 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Michele sent me. You are very descriptive; I could almost feel the chunks.......LOL

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...you took one for the team. I am always the one cleaning up and covered in kid vomit in my house...Sorry to hear your girl was sick but glad to hear she's doing better! No more chocolate milk before bedtime right?

4:10 AM  
Blogger Mike Davis said...

Ahhhh, memories!

Michele sent me.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

Hi, Michele sent me!

Oh...the visual of the chunks in the bathtub almost made me hurl!! Thanks for that! LOL.

Hope you got some sleep!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

aren't you the best daddy! here via Michele.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

Yes honey, thanks for the lovely description of events. So you threw her in the tub three times. Who cleaned the bedroom and did three loads of laundry between 1:45 and 4am. Oh the little details you forget.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Oh man, It didn't say a thing about that in the manual did it?
I've had a few of those night too. Not fun, but it teaches us about sacrifice in a unique way.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home