Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A Note on Blog Mascots

The thought occurred to me that I have no mascot here at WilkeWorld. LA has the Lakers, Boston has the Red Sox, Dallas has the Stars, but here at WilkeWorld, I have nada.

So help me out. What makes a good mascot? Give me some possible ideas. First and foremost, WilkeWorld's mascot should inspire respect but, at the same time, represent the spirit and feel of WilkeWorld. That means no domestic cats, cause they never do what I want them to.

I will take suggestions for the mascot until Thursday morning at 7:00 AM, MST, at which time I will take the top three suggestions and offer them up for your vote. The blogger with the winning suggestion will win an all expenses paid trip for themself and a companion to WilkeWorld on Internet Airways. No, but I will feature their blog as a note on my site. In the event I get like two suggestions, I will throw caution to the wind and name it myself. To give you some idea of where I'm leaning, I offer up this list of the 10 best mascots.

10. St. Louis University Billikins--Any university with enough guts to select a Buddha-like character for a mascot deserves all the praise in the world.

9. The Shelley High School Russets--Any high school that has a potato as a mascot deserves similar praise.

8. Nebraska Bugeaters--That's right. The Cornhuskers were originally known as the Bugeaters, which makes little sense, but gets them mentioned here.

7. Cal-State-Long Beach Dirtbags--The university's baseball team employs this name much to the chagrin of the flooding rivers everywhere.

6. Jordan High School Beetdiggers--I imagine that in other parts of the country, mascots like Beansnappers, Applepickers, and Bananapeelers are par for the course, but here in Utah, we like our beets dug.

5. Idaho Vandals--Yes, I know that the Vandals were an ethnic band of Northern Europeans but I still get a kick out of the image of drunk Idahoans sprawled out in front of sorority houses dreaming of the spoils of war.

4. Cal-State Irvine Anteaters--Nothing inspires like an anteater.

3. Kuna Kavemen--Again Idaho rocks. Isn't it clever how they changed the C to a K? We Idahoans can spel.

2. Stetson University Hatters--Well, what else would they be called?

1. Cal-State-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs--Is there any doubt that this is the best all-time mascot? Those crazy Californians get the top spot 'cause their just so wacky.

Anyway, citizens, I look forward to your submissions.

14 Comments:

Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

Here are several for your consideration:

WilkeWorld Weevils

WilkeWorld Watermelons

WilkeWorld Wonders


I like alliteration; can you tell?
Hope you get some better suggestions. :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

How about: WilkeWorld Wambas

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest "The Manatees" -- because most folks out west have no idea what a manatee is, so you can create your own persona for your mascot.

ps: A Manatee is a gigantic beast that lurks in the swamps of Florida, my home state, eating alligators, sharks and lost yankee tourists.
If you painted one purple (a manatee not a tourist) it would look like Barney The Dinosaur.

1:42 AM  
Blogger TheMommason said...

Laughing my fool head off ...

It may not be a W but I vote for the Wilke World Jackalope There is a simular beast in Germany that also has wings but I have to go find my stuffed animal one to look at the tag to see what it's name is i think it does actually have a W name.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Here I am in Wisconsin, where Marquette University cannot get their act together and agree on a name for their team. For those who don't know, we were the Warriors, then the Golden Eagles, then for a brief moment last month ... Gold. Now they've put it up for a poll for the graduates, and it's between The Hilltoppers and something else really dumb, perhaps Golden Eagles? I dunno, it's getting pretty silly.

ANYHOW, since Marquette refuses to use Warrior, my suggestion is:
WilkeWorld Warriors

8:33 AM  
Blogger Thao said...

WilkeWorld Wookies
WilkeWorld Wampas

And one without a Star Wars theme:
WilkeWorld Wildebeests

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wilke Wonder World with a photo of a loaf of wonderbread.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

I am with Indigo. In junior high we were the West Minico Warriors, and everyone knows we were far superior to the East Minico Pirates. Sorry honey, West is best, East is least, and so the junior high rivalry rears it's ugly head in our marriage. At least we went to the same high school.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Wow, the submissions are coming along very well, but, alas, Indigo's suggestion of Warriors has been thrown out. Its not her fault but when we were choosing teams, my wife chose her, so now I have to eliminate the Warriors. Sorry, but this is a bit of a dictatorship when it comes to Junior High rivalries. BTW, honey, West is messed and East is the beast.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

WHAT?!?! No way, that is just not fair. First Marquette, then you, I guess this gives me no choice but to make my mascot the warriors. The Thoughts Outside My Head Warriors. Yep.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have studied the names that have been entered. I have tried to make a unique entry into the contest, and so that I don't spend one more second trying to out smart whoever. I enter the entry WILKEWORLD OXKINTOCKS (ox-can-talk. I believe this sums up my understanding of what goes on here.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read anyone else's so forgive me if any of these are repeats. But my nominations are:

The Woman in White

The Moonstone

The Beet Truckers

The Rocky Mountain Oysters

The first two are in reference to the Sites namesake, and the last two are in reference to your alias's namesake.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Pirate Princess said...

Sorry, not good at this sort of thing. I like your idea of a potato though... I see Mr. Potato Head looking wise with glasses, scatching his bald crainum. But that's just because I'm biased - I live close to Shelly. :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Shaleen said...

When I thought of Wilke World, Willy Wonka came to mind. Don't ask me how, it just did. So I suggest the Wilke World Oompa Loompas!!! (Please forgive the spelling, and I know nothing of copyright infringements, so it'll be all up to you. Maybe if you spelled it differently or something) : )

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home