Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A List of Unsavory Characters

I am not much of a meme person, but I thought I'd try to start one today and see where it takes me. The idea is to list 10 television characters that you relate to personally. Now we are talking about the character here and not the actor that plays the character. Hopefully at the end of this exercise you will know a little bit more about me and in doing the meme you'll learn a little about yourself. So here is my list of unsavory characters. Consider yourself tagged.

10. Monk from Monk. Monk is the obsessive compulsive detective who is very observant in a freaky sort of way. Tony Shalhoub plays Monk and does it admirably. I think I relate to him because he doesn't think like everyone else and I sometimes wonder if I don't either.

9. Magnum, P.I. He's funny and good looking and he lives in Hawaii and gets to ride in TC's chopper all the time. Okay, so I'm nothing like Magnum at all, but I would so like to be. I relate to that. My wife likes the Ferrari, especially.

8. Cliff Clavin from Cheers. He is the useless knowledge king. I admire a man who dedicates himself so fully to minutia. Oh, and he loves his mom.

7. Norm from Cheers. Norm is pretty simple. People seem to like him and he seems to like them. He is also very dedicated to his beer. I, personally, don't drink, but if I did, I would occupy the corner barstool and everyone would shout my name when I came in.

6. Archie Bunker from All in the Family. Okay, this is a bit of an odd choice, but Archie was tortured by the idiocy around him. Most of it was inflicted by his family, which doesn't apply to me, but, at work, I see myself as Archie all the time. I'm not as caustic, however.

5. George Jefferson from The Jeffersons. The guy has a mouth that doesn't shut up. He's a hard worker and a hard player. Plus, I love saying the word, "Honkie".

4. Fred Flintstone. C'mon, Fred is the man. He has a sidekick and a hot wife and the cutest kid. He also drives a great car and gets to bowl all the time. Fred is a hero of mine to be honest.

3. Remington Steele. Again, I don't think I am all too like him, but I wish I was. He has an accent, too. Oh, if I had an accent, chicks would think I was so hot.

2. George Costanza of Seinfeld. My mother has said for years that I remind her of George. Gee, thanks, Mom. George is a guy who can screw anything up, but, at the same time, he is brilliant. He is also ridiculously picky when it comes to his women. I guess the fact that I didn't get married until the ripe old age (in Mormon terms) of 32 got my mother to thinking. I have never bought cheap envelopes, however.

1. Raymond Barone of Everybody Loves Raymond. I am Ray Barone. Let me count the ways. Hot wife. Cute kids. Mom's favorite. Mother cooks better than wife. Foot in mouth disease. Love sports with a passion. Brothers are both dufuses, but I love them. Debra consistently gives Ray the look my wife gives me.

There you have it. Provided for your blogging pleasure. I look forward to your lists.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

10? Cripes, how did you come up with 10? I'm going to have to think on this.

I can see the Monk in you, as well as the useless knowledge that spews from Cliff.

George? You'd better start listing everything that's in your wallet. If you have more than 10 receipts in there, and a bunch of punchcards, then I'll let you have George.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being part-Monk is sort of cool, I think. I don't watch enough television to choose ten characters.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really must be getting old...Why do I not like any of the choices. I liked watching everyone loves raymond, then it dawned on me, he is a spineless, wimp, and the laughter was because of his bafoonery. Cliff and Norm, spend all day drinking their life away, not what I want to emulate. I use to like James Bond, but I realized he got into bed with every girl he met and I refuse to spend another dollar in promoting that life style. George, hasn't made a life changing contribution and his life is a waste. How come it seems that the only intelligent people on TV seem to be women. Or is it just me.........

8:21 AM  
Blogger Shaleen said...

No, Grandpa Jones, it's not just you. Women are the more intelligent ones on television. (Even when they're supposed to be silly.) : p

9:48 AM  
Blogger Shaleen said...

What responses will come of that, I wonder...?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

My father, the women's libber.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't picture myself as a womens libber, more like, I think there must be a conspiracy, to make men look dumb and to make women look smart. Subtle, but yet real...I know some of you think it doesn't take much to make a man look dumb, but look who the role models are for our young men......really.....

12:47 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes, Grandpa I know what you are trying to say.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home