Saturday, June 11, 2005

A List about Grandpa Kay

This year we are having the inaugural Jones Family Reunion (which I assume will involve much boasting, bragging, and ingesting of all things delicious). In honor of this great event, I want to write a few words about my Grandfather, Kay. You will notice that my online persona is also K Jones, which tells you volumes about the respect and love I have for this great man. In his honor, I present this list about all things Grandpa Kay.

1. He drank a lot.
2. He stopped following a run-in with a beet truck.
3. He named all of his dogs--Mike (he had a number of them)
4. He was most noted for his storytelling ability.
5. He almost told my sister that he loved her, but couldn't quite pull the trigger, despite her constant, nagging encouragement.
6. He was an awesome cribbage player.
7. He would show up at our house and just honk his horn for us to come out.
8. He liked to take us to pick up baling twine and feed the sheep, cows, and horses.
9. I once saw him give mouth to mouth resuscitation to an almost dead calf.
10. He knew every cow, sheep, and horse in the herds.
11. He took us to get Oasis burgers during the summer.
12. He liked to fry up Rocky Mountain oysters and eat them.
13. He showed up to church only when my sister coaxed him into it.
14. He thought my younger brother worked harder than me.
15. He loved his daughter-in-law very much cause she took care of him.
16. He limped everywhere cause when he was little the doctor didn't set it right.
17. He swore a lot.
18. He remembered the last Indian war.
19. He couldn't stand to eat or look at the fuzz on a peach.
20. He was a good man.

I hope Grandpa Jones will add to this list and share it at the reunion. We miss you Grandpa Kay.

Don't mind the teardrops on the screen, they're just like Windex.

7 Comments:

Blogger Le laquet said...

A wonderful post! My grandad was a curmudgeonly old sea-dog, who no adult alive got on with! As kids we thought he was wonderful - he had been in the merchant navy for over 50 years, had been to every country in the world with a sea-port and had wonderful stories to tell! I only wish I remembered half of those stories now!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute.

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks K...for the comments on dad. He had such a generous heart, If someone was down and out on their luck, Grandpa K would loan them money, no questions. If you didn't work with your hands you weren't worth much in his book. In his later years, I would take him through out So. Utah to horse races, and going to and from, he would tell me countless pioneer stories of the area. I named one of the race horses Grandpa K...this horse had the running style of coming from way off the pace and the announcer would say, "and here comes Grandpa K..." Luckily the horse would win and Grandpa K...would shed a tear. All his life, his friends owned racehorses, and he was not rich enough to, so this was his time in the limelight. Enough of this K...I appreciate your thoughtfulness. Janie Q I wish there were more men like him as well.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful description of your grandpa. I was able to spend a lot of time with my grandma and my great-grandma while I was growing up. I treasure those memories and stories that they told me and hope to pass them to my kids. Thanks for sharing yours!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I love that he named all of his dogs Mike. My granddaddy did something similar; he named all of his parakeets Pete.

Michele sent me this morning. Enjoy the reunion.

7:24 AM  
Blogger SuburbaMom said...

He sounds like quite an interesting person. I hope you have a good time at the reunion and remember fun times with your grandpa. I'm visiting from Michele's place.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Aren't grandpas great? That's a wonderful tribute.

Not sure if you saw my tribute to my grandpa, it's on my blog called Closer Than They Appear.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home