Thursday, April 28, 2005

A List of All Things Idaho

In response to a prompt at the Alchera Project, I offer the following explanation and subsequent list. It is said that "home is where the heart is" but home is also where memories reside and for me that place is Minidoka County, Idaho. Much of who I am and what I project is derived from my experiences in the Magic Valley. This is a list of some of the character flaws I attribute to my home in Spudville U.S.A.

I dig chicks who know what a barrow pit is (hugs and kisses honey).
I call the glove compartment a jockey box.
I still get really concerned when it freezes late in the spring.
I believe potatoes can be eaten at every meal every day of the year.
I call carbonated beverages "pop" not "soda" or "coke".
I find it very difficult to purchase potatoes at the store.
Sugar comes from a beet and tastes just as good.
Halestorms are a natural disaster.
I find it hard to eat french fries without fry sauce.
I still think Pocatello is a big city.
I pronounce Boise with an "sssss" sound not a "zzzz" sound.
My wife and I still find "cruising Main Street" an appropriate dating experience.
The Snake River is still, hands-down, the coolest river in the world. Evel Knievel couldn't even jump across it.
I still think snowmobiles are more practical than recreational.
I think the wind blows in Idaho because Utah sucks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.... I thought that the wind blew in Utah because Idaho sucks.... Hmmmm....

8:23 PM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Oh, is that how it goes? We heard it the other way around.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth be known the first time I heard the phrase, it was your way. But I just like the sound of it my way better.

P.S. thanks for the explanation of my grandfather and cousins (all from Idaho).

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home