Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Note on Mike Davis and Indiana

I read this story with mixed emotions. I don't know Mike Davis. I have never met him. I really don't know if he is a good guy or not, so I don't know whether to root that he keeps his job or not, but I find his plight a bit problematic.

Nowhere in the article does it mention the graduation rate of his program. Similarly, it fails to mention whether his relationship with the student athletes in his program is collegiate and respectful (issues that plagued Bobby Knight prior to his release). I understand that the university and its administrators expect great things from this program, and going 15-14 doesn't cut it in Bloomington, but when the only criteria is win-loss percentage, the state of collegiate athletics is abysmal.

Having attended UNLV for a semester or two, I have come to the conclusion that prostituting the integrity of a university for a gaudy record just bites you in the behind eventually. As for Indiana, I hear that Tark is available.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have watched your NCAA picks and I am a little bit confused. Who do you have going all the way. It seems to me, that you must have been eliminated on your picks and now you are editoralizing on other issues. Waiting to see how your picks turned out, before I become one of you advocates.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Anonymous,
I had Syracuse winning the whole thing, so yes, I am editorializing on other things. I did have UW-Milwaukee going this far, so I did pick a couple of upsets. I will chime in this afternoon before the regional semis commence with more picks.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home