Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Note on Papa-In-Law

I have taken my pot shots. I have laughed until I nearly fell off a chair. Heck, if you all had a father-in-law like mine, you'd be in the same boat. Simply said, I have the coolest father-in-law anyone could ever ask for.

The whole family and I traveled northward on I-15 this week to spend Saturday at a little park celebrating my father-in-law's 70th birthday. Never mind that his birthday was June 12 or that no one in his entire family lives in the town where we had the party. Truth be told, he waited to have his birthday party until The Teenager got back from her father's house in Houston. He couldn't bear to celebrate without her. As for the location of the party, he wanted it to be central and somewhere familiar. We picked our old neighborhood. It seemed like a good fit.

Everyone had a great time and he seemed very pleased. He got a nice book from one of his niece's entitled, "The Fifty Golf Courses You Have To Play Before You Die". I told him it had better be a quick read.

See, that's just it. I can say that to him and he zings stuff right back at me. When I asked his permission to marry his daughter five years ago, he just laughed and, with a sarcastic glance at his daughter, he said, "Good luck. You'll need it."

I like that about him. He's real. His health has been in question of late (he was diagnosed with a mild form of Alzheimer's over the summer) and I wonder how sharp he will continue to be, but I know that regardless of his health, his heart will always be in exactly the right place. I love ya, Roberto.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you lucked out in the in law department! I'm jealous! Glad that you were able to have such a nice celebration! Happy Belated birthday to your dad in law!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Perhaps you should blog about him more. Isn't he the one that shot himself, um, you know, *there*?

7:52 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

He sounds like a great father in law. I like that he waited for the teenager to get back from her dad's before celebrating. He is a very thoughtful man. I wish him a Happy Birthday and I wish him luck with his health.

1:59 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

"I told him it had better be a quick read" .. hahahahahaha !!

Poor guy ;)

I love mutual zinging. Laughter probably keeps him young.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home