Saturday, September 24, 2005

A Note on Integrity

"Help us that we might live with integrity."

My stepdaughter, the teenager, repeats this phrase often in her prayers and I have often wondered exactly what it means to live with integrity.

Is it simply that we are honest and trustworthy? Does it mean that we are kind and charitable? Does it imply some type of a moral or ethical code that we follow? Sure. I think all of those qualities lead us toward a life of integrity, but I don't know that we really understand all that is expected if we are to live with integrity.

In my opinion, integrity is more than just moral fortitude or obedience to an ethical or religious code. Integrity is being true to oneself. It is understanding exactly who we are and what we stand for and then carrying that knowledge into action.

I am pleased to say that my little teenager is coming to a very specific knowledge of who she is and is carrying into action. Her life at 14 is full of confusion and pettiness and pressure from a number of different areas and it would be easy for her to succumb to peer pressure or fall into the trap of impressions and appearances, but, to her credit, she has decided that she is a girl that is kind to everyone, no matter what level of coolness they have or don't have. She has decided that she'd rather be kind than popular. She'd rather be friendly than cool. While others are blazing their own trails of teenage fervor, she has remained an intelligent caring individual who refuses to tease or belittle.

She lives with integrity. I hope that I can and you can, too.

8 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

She sounds immensely wise beyond her years. This entry should be must-reading for all teenagers - and folks of other ages as well.

Popped in from Michele's. How glad I am that I did, for this entry is a revelation.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Olyal said...

How lucky you are to have such a strong and wise daughter! If only all 14 year olds could have such a sense of self. So many problems could be avoided.

Michele sent me today!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally a Blog of K's that I can support and say, amen, amen, amen, The teenager is a special kind of person. We have known her for approximately 4 years, and to quote my daughter in describing the Teenager. "Dad, does K know that the Teenager is a abnormal person. No body is that obedient, and helpful." Every one wants her to tend their children, she plays, reads, and makes them all feel included. She hasn't once, that I have witnessed, sassed her mother and been late for a curfew. I keep waiting to see her rebel, but I honestly don't think I will see it. Teenager, Here's to you Babe. Love ya...........

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!

6:31 AM  
Blogger dena said...

But nice and friendly are cool. I've always taught my kids that it's not the clothes, the car, or the friends that make you cool. After all, you can't buy cool...you're born with it. And being friendly and tolerant, and honest and true...well, those are very cool traits.

visiting from michele's this morning.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky she is to be so aware of herself at such a young age.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

The teenager sounds like she is a wonderful young lady.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You lucked out dear K. She sounds like a dream come true. Keep up the good work and tell the Queen that she did a good job raising this precious young lady. She will be blessed for holding to her values. Keep guiding her in the way of truth and light. Good luck.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home