Thursday, September 15, 2005

A List of Places Before I Die

Okay, before I really get to my post, I have a completely unrelated comment I need to make. The child next door (he's six or seven and should be in school) is currently playing in my driveway. Now the parents have decided that he is going to be homeschooled but they don't do anything. Nothing against homeschooling (apologies to Travis) but if you are an idiot parent with no education, do you really think you are the one to educate your own child.

Now on to my post. I picked up the book entitled, "The Thousand Places To See Before You Die" and I decided to see just how many of them I have actually seen. Well, the list is as follows.

1. Moorea
2. Grand Canyon
3. Sedona
4. Hollywood
5. Lake Powell
6. Mesa Verde
7. Walt Disney World
8. Oahu
9. Lake Coeur D'Alene
10. Sun Valley Resort
11. Glacier National Park
12. Bellagio
13. The Las Vegas Strip
14. Carlsbad Caverns
15. The Badlands
16. The Black Hills
17. Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands
18. Monument Valley
19. Park City and Wasatch Range
20. Zion National Park
21. Pike Place Market
22. The National Mall
23. The Smithsonian
24. Grand Teton National Park
25. Jackson Hole
26. Yellowstone National Park
27. Chichen Itza
28. Roatan
29. Iguazu Falls

Now I have also seen a portion of Rio and a similarly short portion of the PCH so I can kind of count them in a very small sense. All in all, though, I found it disheartening to know that I have seen just less than 3% of the great sites in the world. I have so much more traveling to do.

9 Comments:

Blogger Le laquet said...

.... now you need to give us your list of places that you want to see before you go and check out God's flip-flops!!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I wish I knew what the list was so I could see how many places I have seen. I have lived in Houston all of my life and untill I got married I had only been camping. Ha Ha. I have only been to a few places out of the country like: Porta Rico, Alcapulco, and Matamoras, Mexico for two hours. I have seen many places inside our country. I know I have a lot to see yet.
My daughter gets to travel with her job, so she has seen lots of things.
I feel sorry for the child playing on your drive way who is not getting an education.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You've seen way more than I have. Does that make you feel any better. Wait--I think it only makes me feel worse!

Thanks for coming by my blog earlier!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Of the places you've listed, here is where I've been:
#2 (flew over it, does that count?), #7.

Crap .... TWO PLACES!!!! Kinda.

I need to get out more.

But, have you been to Martha's Vineyard?

8:22 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Well you've seen a heckuva lot more places than I have!! LOL!

The homeschooling thing is tough. In general, I don't think most parents are prepared to homeschool. I can barely get my boys through their homework, and I have an advanced degree. I'm not clear on how a parent with simply a college education, and oftentimes not from a good college, thinks they are going to homeschool.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOw I really know I haven't been anywhere!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Hollywood is on the list of places to see. Mmmm. OK.

As for your neighbor, why not bring the child into WilkeWorld... plenty to learn here!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

No, to answer your question. I wasn't completely drunk. Thanks for calling me out, it made completely no sense at all. LOL! However, I did notice that you were able to answer it properly.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the kid was on recess. Seriously though, it's when kids get older that it's a challenge for parents to homeschool. Little kids are already natural scientists. All you need to do is encourage, provide some interesting materials, answer questions and stay out of their way.

I highly recommend the Grand Canyon!!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home