Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Note on Predestination

The wife just yesterday revealed this little gem of a story that reminds us all that there is a fine line between reality and fantasy in the mind of a three-year-old.

While driving around in our trusty minivan, Touchdown paused from her normal endless chattering to ask the wife a question.

"Mom, how did you get me?"

Like all good mothers, my wife seized on the opportunity to both teach and perhaps catch a glimpse of real innocence.

"Well, Touchdown, Heavenly Father sent you to Daddy and me."

Touchdown thought about things for a good long while and the wife sensed that maybe she had forgotten about it, but after five or six minutes, Touchdown took a deep breath and responded as only she could.

"I remember now," she began. "He said, 'Goodbye, Touchdown', and he gave me a big hug."

The Wife perked up at this revelation and listened carefully over the roar of the air conditioner.

"Then he gave me a toy for Baby Indy. It was a SpongeBob. He (as in the Big Man Upstairs) was wearing pink flipflops."

Now, for those of you with the visual, I caution you to remember that three-year-olds don't possess the capacity for sacrilege. So either God was really wearing pink flipflops, which really throws my view of heaven into utter chaos, or my child is a wonderful little freak. I have opted to believe she is a little freakish if only because I think He might prefer blue.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh I don't know, pink flip flops seem to be in fashion. I've even got a pair.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Silverboh said...

Maybe He wears the Pink ones when He is hugging the girls goodbye, and blue ones with the boys. A good laugh that was much needed after today. Thanks.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I think she was invisioning her own idea of Heavenly Father. But if it's true, I can't wait to see the pink flip-flops.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! I hope things are that laid back when we get there...I haven't gotten that impression from the missionary discussions, years of Sunday School and Sacrament meetings! I love a child's imagination...My oldest son thought for a while that when people get baptized they die (long story!) so one night he was saying his prayers, "And please bless Jesus that he will have fun playing with all the dead kids after they are baptized." Hard to keep a straight face with comments like these! You have a very cool daughter!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Olyal said...

Boys can wear pink too you know!!! Pink shirts are all the rage at the moment, so wouldn't it be logical for pink flip flops to follow?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

Lol! I love it - children's imaginations make life better!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Very sweet! And I bet when He wears his flip flops to the White House nobody gives him a hard time!

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precious!

You have a true theologian in the making.

"Out of the mouths of babes, Thou hast perfect praise"... among other things.

Pink flipflops... pink flipflops... Let me check my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance To The Holy Bible and get back to you on that one, OK?

When using a concordance, is flipflop one word or two?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

What a little sweetheart! Personally, I'm digging the idea of a God that would wear pink flip flops.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home