Thursday, June 09, 2005

A Note on Age

When I look in the mirror, I see a much older guy than I am. I know that its me, but the George Hamilton grey streaks in my hair just don't make a lot of sense. The other day my wife actually found a grey hair (note that I spell it 'grey' not 'gray', it seems younger and hipper) front and center. Right there on my forehead. I can't be this old.

Here is further proof that I'm not as old as the mirror seems to think I am.

Scooby Doo is still pretty darn entertaining.
I still have a tough time making it through church meetings.
I love Froot Loops.
I still talk to dogs like their my bestest friends.
My mommy still makes me my favorite meals for my birthday.
I would rather get toys than clothes for Christmas.
Legos are still the greatest invention known to man.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original) still gives me the creeps.

Here is the counterargument.

I can't watch MTV or even VH1 now, the music is just too loud. I now listen to Country. Argghh.
I've threatened to call kids' parents if they don't "Keep it down".
I can make it through Dave Letterman without falling asleep.
Pixie Sticks give me a headache.
My parents seem like reasonable individuals.
Instead of playing video games, I blog.
I want to go to sleep at 9:00 but I can't.
Stuff we wore in high school is now back in fashion.
I read the paper on the toilet.

I'm 36. I still don't believe it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Le laquet said...

Age - it just creeps up on you doesn't it!! I'll be 36 soon (too soon) and the grey hairs in the mirror on the way to work which bounce around "flashing" in the sunlight and then disappear as soon as you arrive in the car-park and stop - to pull them out are the ones that annoy me most of all!!

Jo

p.s. Love Lego - it's why I teach infants (5-7 yr olds.)
Love Scooby Doo and the Clangers (UK kid's TV show - fab!!) and get on really well (almost friendship) with my parents!!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Well my id says I'll be 36 on the 20th, but trust me, I don't feel a day over 28. Why 28? I'm not really sure, it just seems like how I feel. Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

Age has nothing to do with how old you are. It's all in how you feel. When I was in high school, music was EVERYTHING. Now, I could care less about all the new groups and stuff. Just give me my '80's station on XM, and I'm good to go. Good post!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have debated, whether I should make a comment, I am suffer with the whole growing old thing and I get upset to realize that I can't do things that I use to do. It doesn't help when your son tries to do things for you, believing that you are to old to do things for yourself. If they are going to do that, then why don't they come over and mow the lawn, why don't they come over and wash the car. Why don't they let us win at canasta, you never know how much longer we are going to sojourn here on earth. Those are things that I would feel better about, rather than helping me into my car, helping me get up off the couch. Come on K.....

3:31 PM  
Blogger Hot Mom said...

Terry, How right you are. he actually puts Captain Crunch with Crunchberries on my shopping list.

7:28 PM  
Blogger prying1 said...

I'm stuck at 19 yrs. old. In my head anyway. Have been for years. Ignore the candles.

I once had a pastor say, "Old is always 20 years more than you are. With that attitude you will never get there."

I took that to heart. Speaking of heart, wheres my pills?

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the same room as my children, who were watching their afternoon cartoons. And I was thinking, How boring.

I am getting old, I used to plan my time around my afternoon cartoons. You are still young, because you enjoy them (well, at least Scooby Doo).

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree on the Legos, can't stand Fruit Loops, ditto on MTV. And here's wishing that you never feel as old as you look. And Michele sent me.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home