Friday, June 03, 2005

A Note on Being Tom Jones

And so begins the next 100 posts....

For those of you who sifted through the archives and dredged up the information I asked about, you will know that my real name is Tom Jones. Yep, Grandma and Grandpa Jones were quite the creative types. That being said, I love my name. It is actually a family name from both sides of my family and, therefore, means a great deal to me, but it has been quite an experience living with this name my whole life.

For those of you too young to know what I'm talking about, Tom Jones is also the name of a relatively famous Welsh singer who now belts out his tunes on the stages of Las Vegas. He is most renowned for his seductive hip-swaying moves and his sexy voice. Tom Jones is also the name of a book written my Henry Fielding. In 1960, the book was made into a movie and won the Oscar for Best Picture. The catch is that the main character is, well, morally corrupt and quite a womanizer. So Tom Jones is the name of a sexy singer, a sinful sexpot, and, well, me.

Add in the fact that I lived in Las Vegas for ten years and worked on the Strip and the fact that I studied English Literature at UNLV for a short time, and you have the dilemma of my life. At least once a day someone will sing "Its Not Unusual to Be Loved by Everyone," or "What's New, Pussycat," or even "My, My, My, Delilah", or they will want me to sing it. I have even heard stories of keys and panties thrown up on stage during fits of extreme drunkenness. Yeah, it's quite the ordeal.

On the plus side, my wife never tires of telling the story of how she went to Las Vegas and got married to Tom Jones. Nice one, honey.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - thanks for the visit to my blog, and your kind remarks about Miss Hungary.
If you had to be named the same as a singer, thank goodness it's Tom Jones rather than Englebert Humperdinck - another singer of a similar vintage :)

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do women toss underwear? There's a Tom Jones dentist in our area. Michele sent me today.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

He he - I was right! On the positive side Tom Jones is still a demi-god in Wales and is the subject of a brilliant and one of my favourite songs (The ballad of Tom Jones by Space and Cerys from Catatonia)

Also, if you were in my family and named after a relative (from Wales) you'd have been Ceinwen or Guto (pron Git-oh) or Llewellyn or Talog .... so Tom is pretty cool!!

11:54 AM  
Blogger millennium hippies said...

LOL i can't stand the *other* tom jones, but my 3 year old daughter is constantly walking around the house singing "she's a lady...whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...she's a lady..." (they play that song on the movie "The Wild Thornberries")

here via michele but will poke around a little more!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for you to devulge why you have the name of Tom Jones.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

That's pretty hilarious! You know, some older women still think Tom JOnes is hot. The famous one, I mean! :)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

LOL....great story...and you must have an interesting life. :)

Michele sent me!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are we to determine from this, that Grandpa Jones' name is Corry. Because I thought you name was Tom Corry.

Just feel lucky that you have 1 first name and 1 last name. I was born with 2 first names, 2 last names, and I only have 2 names.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That makes your wife Mrs. Jones, isn't there a Me & Mrs. Jones song?

8:35 PM  
Blogger prying1 said...

Blog rocketing through - Really hilarious. - My name is Paul Young. Of which there are two not so famous singers of the same name. (One now deceased. I got the obit.) Only once at a pizza parlor did someone hear my name and say, "The singer?" looking past me with an expectant/hopeful look on their face. - Looking forward to seeing you on the rocket again -

8:53 PM  
Blogger prying1 said...

Oh, One more thing. Have you gotten any royalties from that LV reprobate for his using your name in vain? -
-
I get any either.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

OK, Grandpa jones has my curiosity up now. Why were you named Tom Jones?

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home