Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Memory of the Youth Ranch

As many of you are aware, I spent a good portion of my childhood at the Idaho Youth Ranch (a 2000 acre ranch with 35-45 juvenile delinquents). I loved my childhood immensely and today I want to illuminate you all with a few memories of that place. My wife wants me to clarify that I was not one of the delinquent kids but rather the son of the Youth Ranch's Grand Wizard (I guess that makes me delinquent, but I am not sure).

1. On various occasions, my friends would run away and be sent to juvenile detention in St. Anthony.

2. We had a full-sized activity center with a gymnasium, game room, weight room, and locker room. I became a very accomplished shuffleboard player, pool shark, and dodgeballer.

3. One of the runaway kids was named Dusty Rhodes. We thought that hilarious.

4. We didn't ever lock our front door.

5. My brother and I would build forts in the haystacks of the ranch.

6. Our friends would often have to go home when we were playing so they could attend "Group Meeting".

7. The kids taught me how to grow marijuana and rob a bank; two skills I have never really needed thus far in my life.

8. Most of the kids were scared of the Wizard, cause they would hear stories of him whooping three and four kids at a time. (The Wizard is a big man.)

9. Our dog, Sally, died in front of our house out at the ranch when I was in fifth grade.

10. All of our water came out of a well. It was the best tasting water I have ever tasted.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Idaho too. Not at the youth ranch, but close by. I think I went to school with that kid, Dusty Rhodes. Did he have some siblings named Sandy and Wendy?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing place to grow up! A great list of things that happened there!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Dusty Rhodes? Come on. You are making that up. Aren't you?

4:05 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I grew up with well water too.

Don't lie, you were one of the delinquet's and the Wizard is really you're probation officer. ;-)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

"The kids taught me how to grow marijuana and rob a bank; two skills I have never really needed thus far in my life." --- well, at least you have a couple of fallback careers, huh??

I went to school with a girl named Sandy Foote. Seriously.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

What was it like in the winter time on the ranch. Did you get lots of snow?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remodeling and Home Improvements. YEAH.. If you are like me it seems like there is never enough time in the day.. You get home late and leave early.. then the weekends thats another story by itself. My wife has found it easier to hire somebody if you we need help with build your own home. She fond a great site for build your own home at http://build444.com and wanted to share it with you.. Im glad to find help when I need it.. I hope you have great luck remodeling your home...

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American philosopher
Some critics of determinism argue that if people are assumed incapable of independent choice (free will) there can then be no rational basis for morality, and therefore some aspects of criminal and civil jurisprudence and legislation appear irrational and unjust. How, they ask, can one be punished for an involuntary action? In order to maintain the integrity of social institutions that rely in part upon holding people responsible for their actions, it becomes necessary in their eyes to deny determinism, at least as far as it applies to what we ordinarily call voluntary actions. However, determinists hold that there is a logical basis for morality.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home