Monday, February 06, 2006

A Note on State

As many of you already know, the Teenager has been involved in competitive swimming over the last year and a half. Well, about two weeks ago she participated in the High School Regionals and set two personal bests. Her time in the 200 Individual Medley actually qualified her for State, so this weekend we loaded up the minivan and made the four hour trip to Provo to watch the Teenager compete at the Utah 3A State Swimming Competition.

She did great. While she didn't improve her time from Regionals, she came very close to it and wound up 22nd in the entire state in the 200 Individual Medley. She was a tad disappointed in her result, but considering the level of competition and her relative newness to the sport, I was totally impressed and immensely proud of her. Congratulations, Teenager on a very successful first year of high school swimming.

I asked her if she enjoyed her experience at State and if she wanted to do it again. She enthusiastically replied that it was one of the funnest things she has ever done. I think she's hooked.

Now on to my experience at State.

I am a Swim Dad (read Swim Freak). I religiously kept every single time for every kid in every event on the heat sheets. I lost my voice. I know nothing about swimming, but I commented on every event like I was a cross between Howard Cosell and Rowdy Gaines. I would like to say for the record that I was not the most fanatical swim parent however. One hefty Dad and his equally hefty wife wore bright orange t-shirts (not the school's colors) just so their kid could spot them in the crowd.

Usually I am not one to gush over athletic accomplishments, but these kids were astounding. Two state records fell and two other kids came within an eyelash of setting several others. I have never been around so many athletic nerds. The girls are buff and the boys are just gangly and lerpy. It is quite a sight to behold. Add to that the youthful flirtation of a bunch of hormonal teens in swimsuits and you have quite a sight indeed.

I can't wait for next year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Wow! Sounds like a great weekend. This is what makes being a parent so much fun. I'm glad the teenager do so well. Who knows, but this could lead to a scholorship a little further down the line. Wouldn't that be nice. Did grandpa squeese into the minivan and go with you to the competition or did he baby sit for Touchdown and Indy?

Once again, Congradulations to the teenager.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Teenager! What a huge accomplishment for her! Sounds like it was a fun event for all of you!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience for your daughter!!! Tell her I said congratulations. She should be so proud of herself.

Any swim tips, Swin Dad?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Congratulations to the Teenager!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaahhh! That brings back memories for me. Not the State part. Well, sort of. But the hormonal teen part in a speedo. Oh yeah! Memories.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe, Grandma Jones said it right when she said that dealing with a teenage girl was like trying to hold a porcupine in your hands. The slightest movement and your apt to find a quill in your hand. One moment you are their best friend and the next you are some monster that they detest. It often is the best of times and often it is the time you wish would never occur. Good luck O King, you and the wife will have a lot of sleepless nights as she enters into the world of "courtship or as they call it now hanging out." I could put her under a spell, and take it off when she is 25 and has rejoined with her sanity. Let me know if I can help. (You must be kidding )

6:58 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Awwww....what a proud dad and what great support for her! Congratulations on the Teenager's accomplishments.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home