Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A List of Musical Garbage

In a total effort to clue everyone in to my absolute nerdiness as a product of the eighties, I present here the top ten '80's groups that I am embarrassed to say I listened to as a teen.

1. Ratt--I was in fact a little intrigued by this group and found myself thinking at one point that the little rat-tail they all sported was pretty cool, but ultimately I thought better of the whole thing.
2. Dokken--Not as inspired as Ratt, but they also weren't as crass, so that had to mean something.
3. Howard Jones--I don't think this was nearly as bad as the first two, but I go back and see the videos and I realize just how over the edge we all went.
4. Hall and Oates--I don't know why I think they were nerdy, but I do. Their songs were pretty good in a pop sort of way, but again I just think if that came on the radio now I would switch the channel. I don't know why.
5. Mister Mister--I loved these guys tremendously and still do to a certain extent. I must be a total nerd, but I don't even care. Mister Mister is still cool.
6. Lou Bega--I know he's in the nineties, but I can't believe I bought his album. Uggghhhh!
7. Loverboy--I wasn't even working and I sang "Working for the Weekend" like it was my anthem. They were also the very first band I saw live. Long live pop rock.
8. Yaz--Upstairs at Eric's is still one of my favorite CD's. I have never listened to the words of any of the songs yet, but I still think the band was cool.
9. The Hooters--I hear them now and I still like them. Why are they even on this list? I still love them.
10. The Cult--I really am a product of the eighties.

Hope this brings back memories for you all.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I don't think I have listened to any of those.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I still love Howard Jones & The Cult. I am embarrassed to admit I saw Dokken in concert with Slaughter (remember them?) and it wasn't in the 80's.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

The 80s ~ joyous memories and thinking about it very wide musical taste .... Level 42, the Cure, the Creatures*, Go West, Frankie goes to Hollywood to name but a few. I still love Hall & Oates .... just put an album of theirs onto my iPod ~ ah memories!

Hey, great quiz score yesterday!

* Did I tell you that Siouxsie is now a friend of my mother's in real life???

10:06 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh my! Oh my! I was into some of these, big time, when I was in college:
Howard Jones, Mister Mister,
Yaz -- yes! I need to see if I can find my tape now.... The Hooters-- And We Danced!!! I can hear that song in my head now! Oh yeah, I loved that album.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Who didn't love Hall & Oates???

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loverboy was great in concert!
I don't think you were nerdy for any of those. But I do have to include a few bands like

Quiet Riot
Motley crew
Def leapard
DEO
Flock of Segals (hahaha)

6:46 PM  
Blogger Malinda777 said...

Oh My...me too the eighties. You've listed so many but believe it or not, I liked Abba.

Here from Michele

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to remain a casual observer on your blog, but you hit a nerve here. I remember stealing your Talk Talk and Housemartins stuff. Plus lifting weights early in the morning to Def Leopard. The Alarm, Cutting crew, Underworld...I could go on forever. Nice post.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

My brother has to be a little bit mistaken. I don't ever remember Cutting Crew. That must have been yours to begin with. As for the Alarm. I still love them and listen to them, so no embarrassment there.

4:00 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Talk about coincidences: Loverboy was the first band I saw live as well!

They played the Forum (home of the storied Canadiens hockey team) in Montreal. A then-unknown Bryan Adams opened for them and he quite literally blew them off of the stage.

Small world.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

hee, how funny! I actually saw the Hooters in KC with Bryan Adams...also liked Depeche Mode (still) INXS, Howard JOnes, Billy Idol, the Police...hated Ratt and Def Leppard..Quiet Riot was cool, and Twisted Sister! Man, you're bringing back memories. I, too, am a child of the 80's.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

True confessions time . . .

Still love Yaz. And The Cult. Even saw The Cult in concert which was quite a memorable experience.

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still love HoJo. How can you not? And there is nothing nerdy about him, because there is nothing nerdy about me. The only other group that made my radar on you list is Mister Mister. And frankly, I still like them too, but not as much as HoJo.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home