Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Note to BSTS

This is a personal apology to Better Safe Than Sorry for my lax continuation of the novel I began in November. I am in a personal writing funk and in an even more aggressive reading funk. I am reading everything I can get my hands on for two reasons.

A. I think my writing is pretty mundane and I am seeking inspiration and instruction by reading some of the greats. Before I continue on with my story, I have to get better. I spoke with my brother-in-law awhile ago and he felt that one of my problems (and I agree) is that I don't infuse my writing with any sense of location or setting. I am not descriptive enough. I struggle with this, so I have just finished two books (Angle of Repose and A Passage to India) in hopes of gleaning something from the techniques of both Stegner and Forster.

B. I am realizing just how long it takes to write a book and I am a little overwhelmed so I have taken a hiatus from writing. Oh, I still write, but I am focusing on place and character in short little bits.

All of this being said, I can honestly hope that Janie will not lose interest in my writing. She has been both a wonderful friend and a great cheerleader for my writing. I am sorry. I will try harder.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. I find that he is a master at descriptions, based on having read 2 of his books. He doesn't go too far (like I think Tolkein does), rather he gives you enough detail to keep it interested and help you understand its importance to the story. But doesn't let the descriptions get in the way of the story.

That said, I think you have a good writing style. My only comment would be to bring it closer to home. I sense that you are telling your story (I am basing this comment mostly on your Walter Mitty book), but you try to disassociate the story from yourself too much. Maybe I am wrong, but don't forget that it is your voice, and you need to be true to it.

2:47 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

You think your writing is pretty mundane? Wizard, please go thump that son of yours on the head.

It's anything BUT mundane.

Oh, and when I wrote my book it took 29 days. ;-) Of course .... proofing and editing seems to take forever.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I think writing your novel, in thirty days, was like reading the BOM before the end of the year. If you started late you read at break neck speed and probably didn't get much out of it......How does this relate to your book....Don't try to race through it. Write as you get inspiration. You have a wonderful writing style, I loved reading your short stories. Don't try to be anyone but yourself...Have your own writing style. I have a friend who's daughter is an editor. She lives in New York and she edits for people writing scripts for movies. She also edits books. She doesn't just say, "Yes or No". She tells you what you need to do to make it better. She doesn't charge alot and she could read a few chapters and let you know if you are going in the right direction. Let me know if you are interested.... Love your family, but work on your dream.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home