Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Memory of Lila

My dear mother has been this week in Southern California to attend to my Grandmother whose health is rapidly deteriorating. I admire my mother for her ability to comfort those in need of comfort. She is indeed a special person with whom I have not only a great deal of love but also genuine respect. I love you, Mom.

This post, however, is being written about my grandmother. For as long as I've known her, she has been a saint of a lady. We joke that we know Grandma Lila is destined to be in a celestial realm when she passes from this life, but we aren't certain we would want her on our block 'cause she'd make us all do good deeds all of the time. She is just that determined.

When I was just a tiny child, I received a little pillow in the shape of a monkey. It was a constant source of comfort just like a teddy bear is to others. Over the years, each one of my brothers and sisters received a similar pillow (elephants, tigers, giraffes, and cows were all possibilities). As we all grew and got families of our own, Grandma continued making these pillows for each one of her grandkids and great-grandkids. It was truly an honor to recieve a white pig pillow at the birth of my little Touchdown. We called it Wilson. When Baby Indy was born we were excited beyond belief to get another white pig pillow. It was purely coincidental that we got two in the family. We called the second one Spaulding (hey, they look like the volleyballs on the film, Castaway).

Well, the Teenager was not around for this tradition and she is quite jealous that she did not get a pillow. I now realize that my Grandmother's health may make it impossible for the Teenager to ever get a pig pillow, but I am tempted to have my mother snag the template so I can make her one in my Grandmother's behalf.

We all love you, Grandma Lila. We hope you feel better.

8 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

What a beautiful post. It is obvious that between each word is woven a ribbon of love, it is that same ribbon that will tie each glorious memory that you have - and that you will continue to cherish.

Lucky you. Of course, Grandma Lila is also lucky, she has YOU for a grandson.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here from Michele's.. I see she was here too..... I hope your Grandmother continuse to enrich your lives for a long time to come.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Tracy S said...

I hope that your Grandmother gets to feeling better as well ..

That is a cool idea of you making a pillow for the Teenager :)

Thanks for stopping by my place !!

6:46 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

What a lovely tradition. She sounds like every bit the incredible lady you describe. We truly to reap what we sow. And when it comes to families, that is so true.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I think the teenager would be honored to have a pillow made for her in Grandma Lila's name. Hopefully Grandma Lily is not quite ready for the Celestial Kingdom.

I have fond memories of my Grandmother on my dad's side. She was a tough cookie. My mothers mom died when I was two yrs. old. She had breast cancer and it had spread to the point of no return. Back in those days they didn't have a very good survival rate. I hope to meet her one of these days. At this point both my mom and dad have passed on. You are lucky to have both of your parents.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Grandma Lila, is an incredible person, she has such simple faith in God. She was widowed, when her family was young, and several of her sons walked the wild side. She had the responsibility to care for them for many years, all alone. She never complained, she trusted in God, she did all that she could do, and relied on the God to do the rest. During this illness, all of her sons have responded to her and have come to express their love for her. The oldest and the wildest lives with her and tends to her every day. What a faithful lady. I have had the privilege to marry her only daughter and she has the same qualities that her mother has. Luck me, to have witnessed Lila and of marring her daughter.

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your such a great guy to even think to make one. I wish there were more like you out there.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

How sweet! I think you should make one for the Teenager.

I hope Grandma feels better soon.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home