Friday, January 27, 2006

A Note on Sisters

Touchdown: "What did they take, Daddy?"
The King: "What are you talking about?"
Touchdown: "They took it and they're not going to any more. What did they take?"
The King: "Ummmm...."

At this point, I was in a total quandary as to what she was talking about, but as I listened a little more intently the remainder of the trip, I realized what the little three-year-old was talking about. It began with a whisper but soon enough became a full blown howl from the back seat of the minivan.

Touchdown (with gusto): "We're not gonna take it. No, we're not gonna take it. We're not gonna take it anymore."
The King (to the astounded Wife): "That's it. We are going to ban Touchdown from listening to the Teenager's IPod."

In an obvious nod to Dee Snyder and Twisted Sister, the children have been singing this anthem for the last several days. I don't even pretend to know why the Teenager likes it or why she would search that song out (she is quite the goodie-goodie), but she finally found it on a sports rock CD that included Buster Poindexter's oh-so-annoying "Hot, Hot, Hot."

So the question remains. What did they take?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I firmly believe that we don't understand how the human mind works. I don't believe we realize what effect the information we place in our mind, through vision, smell, touch, taste, sound etc., has on us. Having dealt with young people all my life, the quality of information is in direct correlation to the quality of life we live. You put trash in and trash will eventually come out. You put in quality and quality will come out. It is not any more complex than that. This applies to adults as well. In todays society it is so difficult to find good to put in. At the risk of sounding prudish, I am seeing things much clearer that I use to, and I am trying to put quality things in. I am refusing to watch tasteless tv/movies, I am refusing to read materials that are sleazy at best. I would support a Kings edict to prohibit such things in the Kingdom......

8:05 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Heh, my 5yo listens to his 14yo big sister's IPod sometimes. She has eclectic tastes. We are just as likely to hear "I don't wanna be an American idiot" as we are "Ice Ice Baby."

Hi, Michele sent me.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way cute....
Over from the other Michele's

9:55 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Crap, Sir. Crap. They're not going to take the old man's crap anymore. Though as I recall in the video, the old guy looked younger than Dee Snyder who was anything but a teenager. I liked that song but since I was fresh out of college at that point, I didn't have any parental crap to "not take anymore", so the song lost some meaning to me.

Michele sent me, Mr Jones.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's soooooooooooooo adorable. FWIW, my daughter has no desire to ilsten to my ipod and that's not a problem with me!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I am afraid the Wizard is right...Put trash in and it will come out... I suppose they were having a little fun, but it could backfire on you...Good luck King, you're going to need it..

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

back over from Michele's... Happy Saturday.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ha! Kids say the darnedest things! It reminds me of when I was a kid and I sang loudly to pop songs, having no clue what they meant. Cute kids!

Michele sent me!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

At least it wasn't Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps." My nieces were singing that and their mother had to explain why that wasn't a very nice song to be singing, esp. when you're 8 and 5! (turns out their babysitter was allowing them to watch MTV, but that's another story!) "We're Not Gonna Take It" is pretty mild compared to that...

10:57 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love watching our kids begin to explore their own musical taste. We've bought each one a CD player, and they each get to pick their own music at bedtime. I've even burned individual compilation discs with their favorite tunes on them.

When we drive, it's a hoot to listen to them sing their faves. Bless their little souls.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

... all the sweets, so there were none left for the remainder of the trip?

That's the problem with rock music, the rhythm is so easy for little ones to follow and love! I remember my (at the time) 3 year old, angelic, blonde haired nephew singing along to I'm a bitch, I'm a lover" by Meredith Brooks! That started a family mealtime off with a bang let me tell you!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home