Friday, September 02, 2005

A Note on the Gulf Coast

I waited a little bit to write this post as I felt that I would be too reactionary and, therefore, too emotional and angry, but I feel as though I can write it now. I apologize for the overt sentimentality but I want to make a comment about the horrendous and lamentable state of things in the Gulf Coast states.

First and foremost, I believe the Federal Government is doing all it possibly can given the unprecedented circumstances. That being said, it is not enough and I find myself angry and yelling at the television hoping these people can get supplies and food. I keep wondering why the people on rooftops aren't being given food and medicine by air and why so many people are still in life threatening situations five days after the fact. I guess a sliver of blame needs to be directed at the Federal Government given the events and the lack of control.

Secondly, I applaud the efforts of all those people giving service in the face of oppressive heat and their own hunger and hurt. May God continue to bless you all.

Thirdly, I wonder how I can help. I have been urged by my ecumenical leaders to contribute to funds that will benefit those in need, but I wish I was there personally, cleaning up the mess and helping those in need. I feel so inept and handcuffed living 2500 miles away in the desert.

Lastly, my heartfelt love goes out to all of the people affected by this tragedy. I will state with all my heart the fact that God loves all of his children and he loves all of the people who are suffering. It may not seem so now, in the heart of the affliction, but He does love you all and our prayers are with you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Kudos Jones. (btw, our sea cow wasn't in any danger, was he?)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is in times like this that we will see the worst in people, we will see the looting, the raping, the lawlessness, but it is also times like this that we will see the best in people. We will see the countless hours of service, sacrifice, help above and beyond what would be expected. I believe that it is once again the forces of evil and good clashing for the hearts of mankind. There will be people blaming everything on government, there will be prayers uttered throughout the world for help, Democrats and Republicans will put their respective spin on everything. Foreign Countries will say " If you weren't involved in the War in Iraq you would have enough money to help,without asking other nations to help" Others will offer to help because of the goodness of their collective hearts. Some will say, there must not be a God, to allow so much suffering, Others will say if New Orleans was not so sinful, this wouldn't have happened. I will offer my prayers for the truly needy, and I will send my money to organizations that will go and help at the grass roots. I too believe there is a God, and He will not take away our agency to make a decision as to how we will respond at times like this, but he will hold us accountable for how we responded, both ideaological and materially. May we turn to him as we ponder our responses.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise, wise words from Grandpa Jones. Said so much better than I could have expressed it.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes Grandpa Jones, Thanks for adding to K's comments. Living in Houston, I wish you could see what is going on here. It is wonderful to see everyone trying to help out in so way, shape or form. I went to the grocery store today and it was packed with people buying water, food, diapers, baby food, tooth brushes, tooth paste and etc. I purchased items and put them in the donation boxes. Things were so well orgazined. My daughter and son went down to the NW Assistence Ministries and helped sort clothing that is coming in by the car load. Our stake is making 2,000 hygiene kits that will go out immediately. Our storehouse was packed this summer with cots, blankets, hygiene kits, tents, generators, tarps, chain saws and etc. just for this purpose. Commidities were sent out the day after the story to Beaumont, TX and to Lousiana by truck. Stake centers in outlying areas are full with evacuees. It is truely amazing to see all the generous people helping those in need. The Red Cross is working directly with the church and having training classes for volunteers who want to help them in special ways. Down here, we have much we can do. For those of you in far away places, please donate to the American Red Cross, Catholic Charities, the United Way or any other trust worthy organizations with monetary donations that will help those in need. Check out this video that was sent to me by our temple president that shows the love and compassion being shown to these people. http://wnharrell.com/hurricanekatrina/katrinadocumentary.wmv
As far as the looters go, the Lord will judge them in due time. And last by not least, pray for those people, pray for our government and pray for the goodness in our nation.

8:32 PM  
Blogger J Anderson said...

The last thing you want is a political crisis. Michele sent me.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Whacky Wheelers said...

You expressed a lot of how I feel, yet I am still too tender to write the words. I have felt so helpless too until I heard that some of the refugees are being sent to our area (we live in Illinois!). They will be an hour away from where I live and I just want to go and give them hugs and words of comfort -- anything! I too try not to judge, but continually keep them all in my prayers -- the good, the bad and the ugly.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home