Monday, April 11, 2005

A Note on Passion

A buddy from work talks every day about his Japanese Maples. He loves them. He surfs the Internet daily in search of Japanese Maples and tells us all about them. Red Dragons and Bloodgoods. I could care less about Japanese Maples but I am ultimately impressed by his passion.

I, on the other hand, am passionless. I have tried to be passionate about Mayan archaeology. I even attempted a brief stint as an avid birdwatcher. I bought all the books and geared up with binoculars and birdseed, but I just lost the fire. For a while in college I even thought I might muster up some passion for chemistry. I became disillusioned, however, when I found that, on Friday nights, my chemistry classmates met in study groups to discuss new chemistry discoveries. On Friday nights! In college!

I am not suggesting here that good folks who love Japanese Maples, birdwatching, and chemistry are misguided or foolish. Quite the opposite. I believe they are enlightened and lucky. They have found the Holy Grail and drink out of it every day. I, on the other hand, sip lemonade from a different Dixie cup every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

birdwatching & chemistry...great fun for me. It takes alkynes to make a world (alkynes is a term for a group of organic chemistry molecules). Very geeky humor.

Don't know a thing about Japanese maples, though. To each their own.

cube

10:18 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Hey, Cube, thanks for dropping by. I hope you'll make it a habit.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home