Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Note on Stupid Things I Know

As I have been surfing the blogosphere, I have come to understand that bloggers are full of useless information. For the most part our blogs are labors of love, but there is a sense of self-indulgent pride in relaying our opinions in an open forum like a blog.

Today I was listening to C-span and the founder of the superblog, DailyKos, was bragging that he was only one of maybe three people in the world capable of doing what he can do with online communities. He may be right, but thats like Darryl Dawkins saying he is one of a handful of people that can really dunk. I guess....but who cares?

With this preamble, I wish to share some truly useless facts that only a handful of people like me are capable of knowing and recalling at the drop of a hat.

"A man, a plan, a canal; Panama" is a very long palindrome.
California was named after a ficticious island in a Spanish novel.
Paraguay is the only country with a flag that is different on each side.
Coach K of Duke once bought a red tie from me.
The University of Southern California (USC) Trojans were once known as the Methodists and the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers were once called the Bugeaters.
Some islanders in the Torres Strait located between Papua-New Guinea and Australia consider a novel written in the 1950's as ethnographic history.
Waffle mix made with powdered sugar instead of flour does not work.

And for those of you who are into challenges. Tell me some useless information that I don't know......

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having driven with you to Boise on many occasions, I find your mind one of the most intriquing things that I have encountered. I am not sure if I have ever beaten you at Trivial Pursuit, and the reason is obvious, I have not had the capacity to store some of the absolutely useless information that you have. It is so discouraging for people like me to lose to people like you in Trivial Pursuit when the question is name the third cousin of the 4 King of Spain. What is the purpose?

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also remember one time we were sitting at our home and you were going through the colleges in the NCAA Division 2 A and naming them and their mascots. What is with this? I was astounded and I said to myself, I'll bet he doesn't know important things like who won the Kentucky Derby in 1941, and to my surprize you did. It is not fair........

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is fun to see you interact with your two year old daughter. Expecting her to know, some of the drivel that you know. You just can't wait for her to get old enough to astound her with your knowledge. May I suggest you work on See Dick run, See Spot go, and some of the more basics with her, instead of having her memorize more of your mundane information.

4:42 AM  
Blogger cube said...

si nummi immunis.

a palindrome that is a lawyer's motto in Latin meaning if you pay me, I'll get you free.

cube

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home