Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Note on Last Names

Perhaps it is egocentrism or maybe even vanity, but I dig the fact that my last name will be passed on to future generations. Yep, we are having a boy and the great Jones name will be passed along. That's right, more Joneses. People trying to keep up with us right and left.

My wife is struggling with the name. Jones is so boring, she says. I, of course, want the kid to be named Indiana. She looks at me like I'm an idiot. I suggested that we make Indiana the middle name. She has been lobbying for Garrett. Garrett Indiana Jones. G.I. Jones. It is awesome. Not quite. Garrett Indiana is too close to Gary, Indiana. I can just picture kids singing musical lyrics in squeaky voices. No, I won't subject my kid to that kind of ridicule.

We have a dilemma here. What names go with Jones? Tom? Davy? Jenny? I liked the name Evan. It is a family name and hearkens back to our collective Welsh roots. My wife knew an eighty year-old drunk named Evan Jones so she nixed that one. We are still working on the name, but I am still holding out hope that Jones will still be at the end.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your wife thinks that Jones is so boring, how dare she. Jones was the name in the Garden of Eden, and everyone that was without sin could keep it, however when they sinned they had to change their name. There are fewer of us purebreds but we welcome your young son as another elite Jones. I offer the name of Casey, or John Paul, or Randolph, or Vincent, Malcolm, or Buckley. I hope all goes well with the delivery.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I like the sound of Evan Jones. It works for me.

It looks like our baby's are due about the same time (early Aug). And both boys. I like you can't get my wife to go for Zachary.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home