Wednesday, April 06, 2005

A Note on Timing

It is relatively clear in this story that the Colorado governor doesn't really have a good sense of timing. I don't think he intended to be malicious, but he opened his mouth and promptly inserted his foot. I totally understand, though. I have been guilty of this malady as well, but, perhaps the best example of foot in mouth disease comes from my dear mother.

Several years ago she attended a fireside chat where the guest speaker was a world renowned athlete who had severed his spinal cord in a horrible accident and had been confined to a wheelchair. Despite these terrible misfortunes, he had regrouped and subsequently had become a world-class wheelchair racer. My mother was fascinated and very emotional following his remarks and wanted to ask a few more probing questions. She approached this athlete and matter-of-factly asked how long it had taken him to "get back on his feet" following the accident.

He looked her up and down and must have had quite a chuckle. He replied that he had yet to accomplish that feat.

We still tease my mother about that one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I sure hope your mother doesn't read your blog. I have related that story on several occasions and she gets mad at me each time. Your mother has no guile and she truly meant to ask how long did it take for him to overcome his handicap and get on with making the most out of his life.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your honesty is the pleasurable thing about reading your blogs.
sofie

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home