Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Note for a Good Friend

The Wife and I are often fond of calling our children nicknames. Touchdown is famously known as "Pumpkin Pie" since her birthday is in October. Lil Indy is often called "Bubba", "Tato Head", or "Mr. Magooby" for various reasons and The Teenager is known as "Sister" or Sweet Pie" because she is both sweet and the sister of the other two (even though we called her "Sister" well before the other two were even born). Any way, this morning The Wife asked Lil Indy if he was her "Bubba". He looked momentarily confused before he responded with his customary eloquence, "No, Mama. I Mr. Magooby."

We will be buying him spectacles and a cane in no time.

In other news, my job is going spectacularly well. I am finding arrowheads and pottery sherds in huge quantities and I think I am getting more confident in my abilities. The only real problem is that, since the temperature here in Southern Utah is now creeping towards 100 degrees, the powers that be at my work have instituted a 6:00 A. M. starting time for the excavation. Arrrrrgggggghhhhh! I am a night owl, not a morning person in the least. It has been a little trying of late. Not to mention that the wife is not really thrilled when I get up at 5:15 (she values her precious sleep).

Well, yesterday morning my alarm went off during a particularly good dream in which I was accepting the Nobel Prize for Archaeology or some such thing and I was literally jarred out of bed. Fearing that I would wake the Wife up, I pounced on the alarm and tiptoed gingerly into the closet where I dressed like a sneaky jaguar in the night. I listened for any movements from the area of the bed and (thankfully) the Wife slumbered, oblivious to my panther-like movements. I felt so proud of myself for not awakening her (usually I am an overgrown kangaroo in a bounce house). I then sneaked out of the room and went and fixed my lunch. So far, so good.

After a particularly unfortunate battle with the ice machine on the freezer door, however, I must have awakened her, cause she stumbled out into the family room to give me a kiss just before I left for work.

"Sorry about the ice maker, Hon," I lamented when she stumbled into the room.

"It wasn't you," she replied. "Its that wind. It blew that tree into the storm drain all night long."

Phew! It wasn't me that awakened her. I am just that good.

Fast-forward to later on that night.

"I hope it isn't as windy as it was last night," says the Wife as she jumps into bed and snuggles up next to me. "I really don't like sleeping with the Kicker (aka Touchdown)."

"You spent the night with Touchdown?"

"Yeah, you didn't notice that I wasn't in the bed when you woke up?"

"Ummmmmm..........."

Insert the Wife's disgusted look here.

"You didn't even look to see if I was there? In the bed?"

"Ummmmmm.........I love you?

"What if I had been kidnapped? Or in dire need of your help? You didn't even venture a glance at the bed?"

"Honey, you've lost so much weight lately that I must have thought you were under the covers even though you weren't."

I still have the reflexes of a cat.

5 Comments:

Blogger Le laquet said...

Yeh but she didn't fall for that did she?

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. I new I could count on you for a smile!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again. I know about the sneaking out of bed not to wake your wife. Problem is my wife couldn't sleep if a bug sneezed on the other side of the room.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://ecssa.biz/instant-payday-loan.php

7:44 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ha ha ha. Good one. I think I would have just glared at hubby if he said that-awarding him points for a good effort.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home