Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Note on Crying Drips

Every so often you just have to write down things that your kids do so that you will remember them forever and you will be able to tease them about it when they are teenagers. This week was one of those weeks. My little Touchdown was a total treasure trove of one-liners this week and I've got to relate the sheer madness of her little personality. She is really a pill.

It all began last Saturday when she was to go to her cousin's "Princess" b-day party. The Wife was sick so I got saddled with the chauffeur duty. As I got Touchdown buckled into the minivan and made my way around the front of the van, I may have let a little gas escape me in the form of a little toot. She laughed hysterically and we left to go to the party. I thought all had been forgotten of the toot, but about a mile into our sojourn I look back at her and she is just about to cry. She is holding the folds of her lavender chiffon "Princess" dress in her little hands with a look of total despair and disgust.

"Daddy," she said with her nose all scrunched up, "your toot made my dress all foggy. Look! It's all foggy."

I looked but I must say it didn't look foggy at all. Nevertheless, perception is 95% reality so I'll take her word for it.

In a related story, this past Monday on a similar drive (albeit tootless), Touchdown started sobbing in the back seat because she didn't want me to die. Its a long story, but one in which the Primary in our local congregation was teaching the children about God's Plan and mentioned that in God's Plan every one of us will eventually die but that we can live with our families forever if we're not naughty. Well, Touchdown has been naughty lately and so she was sure that when I died and she died we couldn't live together and she was not happy about it. She was a total mess. Tears were flying in every direction and little Touchdown was really quite amazed that so many tears were flying out of her. She stopped her crying for a brief second amidst all of this blubbering and asked...

"Daddy, does everyone get them like me?"

"Get what, honey?"

"The crying drips. Does everyone get the crying drips like me?"

Sometimes its good to be the daddy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

In our house, when one toots, we have a phrase that everyone uses and now the grandkids are even using it....How does this happen?

Touchdown sounds like a real "princess"....

I was with my grandson at the doctors office last week. To try and keep him occupied while we were waiting, I gave him a piece of paper and a pen so he could draw. He was scribbling at the top of the paper and I asked him if he could write his sister's name down. He pointed to one of the scribbles and said, "There it is. I said, "That's not Jocelynes name." He pointed to it again and said "yes, it is, it's in Spanish." Everyone in the waiting room started to laugh. I said, "JJ, I can read spanish and that does not say Jocelyne." He just shrugged his shoulders and kept drawing.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

I get the crying drips but it's someone else who does the tooting around here!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Daddy! Not the tooting fog! Oh no!!

She's precious...

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she has this many crying drips now, I wonder what she will be like as a teenager. Keep loving her. Then she will come to your shoulder to cry on.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teenagers do get the crying drips but I'm not sure if it's more or less than when I was four. Since I'm a girl probably more.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Where are you Jonesy?!! Happy Easter to you & the family...

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home