Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Note on Karma

Okay, so I live in St. George, Utah in one of the most beautiful areas in the world. I live thirty minutes from Zion National Park and the average daytime temperature this time of year is about 65 - 70 degrees. We live in the high desert and it is wonderful. The golf courses are open for business 365 days a year. We live here for a reason and that reason is the weather.

So imagine my excitement when the teenager got out of school for Spring Break and took the kids for the morning so I could go golfing. I was so stoked. I got a new putter for Christmas and haven't been able to use it at all. I was on Cloud Nine.

The night before we heard news that a storm might be on the way with a 20% to 30% chance of precipitation. I was crossing my fingers, but I woke up to clear skies. I got to the course and we were the first twosome out. I went with my best friend, Jeff, and we established a little wager to see who would buy hot dogs at the turn.

Things went well as I won the front nine and was treated to a delicious hot dog. Then we went back out to find that the clouds had rolled in and it had chilled off considerably. By the tenth hole it had started to snow and by the twelfth hole we found ourselves in an all-out blizzard. A blizzard. We get a snow storm here once every three or four years and it just so happened to occur on the one day I got to go golfing. I go golfing once every thousand days and it snows every thousand days. What were the chances the two would coincide?

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT...

Somehow, I should have known.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cori said...

Okay it is now time to go out and buy a lottery ticket. The chances of winning are about the same. Good luck! Here from Micheles!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awful odds for you, but wonderfully comedic!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

orange golf balls? Simon swears by them ~ lol!

9:47 AM  
Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Hey, at least you won the front 9.
Michele sent me.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Maybe you could have the opposite effect on NY -- come here to golf! Instead of having dreary gray weather, you're sure to bring sun!!

That is just plain freaky.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

That sounds like my husband's luck. I"ve been through St. George several times when we lived in California...very beautiful area. We defninitely liked that part of Utah. Better luck next time on the golfing...sort of sounded like the weather in the Midwest.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

It's starting to sound a lot like something my grandfather used to say about a snowballs chance in hell......

FWIW, it was about 50 degrees here in Wisconsin yesterday, and about about 40 today. And now, there's a tornado watch. IN MARCH. This never happens. Perhaps there's been a sort of freaky friday incident that happened that you and I don't know about.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I hear it snowed 15 inches in SLC yesterday....Hummmmm.... Maybe the teenager could try again near the end of the spring break.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home