Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A Note on Children's Lit

As a SAHD, I have had to resort to a few tricks to keep my sanity. One of these tricks is to sign up to be a reviewer of children's literature at a site called childrenslit.com. It is a not-for-profit organization started and run by a group of librarians that catalogues a number of reviews in a database and then sells the database to librarians or educators. The reviewers themselves are not compensated for the reviews they give, but they do get to keep all of the books that they review.

With that all said, I got my first batch of books and I have got to hype one of the books as an instant classic. I am a real pain in the bum with reviews as I am extremely critical, but I just had to give you all a heads-up on this one.

The book is The Water Mirror, and it is written by a German author named Kai Meyer. It is the first book of a series called the Dark Reflections series and follows the adventures of an orphaned girl named Merle as she takes an apprenticeship with a magic mirror maker in Venice. Merle enters the apprenticeship with another orphan named Junipa and they quickly form a tender friendship. As the apprenticeship continues however, Junipa and Merle start to notice odd things that are happening in and around Venice that threaten its very existence. The book is full of enchanting characters and both hijinx and real drama as the Egyptian mummy warriors threaten to attack Venice. It is eventually clear that the hope of the city rests with Merle and even Junipa, and they are quite capable of bearing that responsibility.

What an outstanding book. If you are a fan of Harry Potter or The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, or even Lord of the Rings, this book is for you and is now required reading here at WilkeWorld. Again, I rarely suggest a book to read, but this is well worth it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Shaleen said...

That definitely sounds interesting. I'm going to have to go out and find it now. ^_^

1:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man there is alot of comment spam I have noticed. Is there any way to remove it from the blogs?

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks I'm always looking for books for my kids!

6:16 AM  
Blogger John Cowart said...

I'll keep an eye out for The Water Mirror.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It sounds like a Harry Potter type. Will older kids, age 27, enjoy it?

8:13 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

That's a neat thing to do with your time, K. Reviewing kids books for librarians. Cool.

6:28 PM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

thanks for the tip! will look for the book here! :)

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home