Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Note on the Big D

I am preparing a little primer on geocaching which I shall unveil later this week for Jo at Le Laquet, but in the mean time, I'll shoot you a little story from Katie's little sister. We'll call her Dora.

Well, she is visiting with her family from Virginia here in Utah's Dixie, and yesterday, she made a wonderful discovery. While driving around town, she noticed something quite exciting and began to ask her mom about it.

"Mom, did you tell anyone I was coming?"

"What do you mean, Dora"

"I mean did they all know I was coming here?"

Again my sister didn't really catch on. "What do you mean, Dora?"

Dora demurely pointed up on the side of the mountain to a huge D that rests on the sandstone commemorating the local college here in town, Dixie.

"They knew I was coming and they put up the D"

Pretty intuitive observation I would say. BTW--is it only here that every town has a letter on it's mountain or hill? What do they have in your neck of the woods?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it must be noted that little Dora is just 4 years old. Out of the mouths of babes shall we all be taught........

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's cute. Not sure if my daughter would think a big Z anywhere would mean it was a welcome for her.

There are no big letters on hills here, we all know our alphabet and we don't feel the need to practice it while we wander around the city.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I've seen the "Y" on the side of the mountain in Provo, but we don't have mountains here in Houston.
I bet Dora likes "Dora the Explorer" on Noggin. My grandson JJ, likes Dora.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home