Saturday, July 09, 2005

A List on Namedropping

At one point in time, I worked on the Strip in Las Vegas. Yeah, that's right. Tom Jones worked on the Strip in Las Vegas. Ha! Ha! Get it all out of your systems. Now, can we go on. Well, while there I actually came across a number of famous people and had some interesting encounters with them. Here is a list of some of the highlights.

1. Smoky Robinson--I sold him a briefcase and he is about the nicest, quietest guy around.
2. James Brown--I sold him earrings for his "women", and he called me "Chief".
3. B.B. King--Another prince of a man, he found my name to be amusing and we chatted about it for awhile.
4. George Strait--I sold him a $10,000 fur coat for his wife.
5. Mike Tyson--He was a regular and a lunatic. His limo almost ran me over in the parking lot the day after he was released from prison.
6. Danny Elfman--I think I mentioned this before, but I've seen his girlfriend topless and I believe a little soused. FYI--He is the lead singer of Oingo Boingo and wrote the Simpson's theme song.
7. Tony Orlando--I sold him a lot of luggage. Nice guy right out of the '70's.
8. Johnny Depp--I sold him a duffel bag at 7:00 a.m. He stunk of alcohol and didn't look like he'd slept at all that night.
9. Shirley MacLaine--Entered our store dressed like a bag lady. Incognito-like.
10. Coach K of Duke--Sold him a red tie.
11. Wes Unseld and Gene Keady--Both basketball guys that are enormous. Sold them both Tumi luggage.
12. Mike Weir--The Masters Champion bought a bunch of Swiss Army luggage.
13. Davis Love III--The PGA Champion bought a Tumi suitbag from me.
14. Jack Black and Lara Kightlinger--They were always kind of flying through the shops. I never actually talked to them but they were there all the time.
15. Whitney Houston--Never met her but talked on the phone to her. She liked Fendi.

I could go on and on with the sports guys and the musicians but these are just the highlights. What is your brush with greatness?

12 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I don't think I've ever met nor spoke with anyone famous. I'll have to sleep on it though, something tells me that as soon as I shut my computer down I'll recall an encounter.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm, Smokey Robinson and Johnny Depp....I'm jealous.

I've met some (minor) celebrities when they came into the smoothie shop I used to work at. But nothing to write home about...

(found you via michele)

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My encounters are far less interesting. I've slept in a sleeping bag on the floor near Joan Baez, and shared a cafe table with Richard Lewis.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

Wow!

I saw George Michael outside Harvey Nic's about 10 years ago! And I met Ladysmith Black Mambazo in Durban.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am realizing, that I should have wanted you to get out of L.V. for a whole set of different reasons. I believe my claim to fame is I played basketball in college with an Apostle of the Lord.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

Oh god! I have SO MANY... I should do a post like this too. I think I started a list at one point. Thanks for the idea... I'll definitely credit you. ;)

Thanks for stopping by today! I need to add you to my RSS reader. (Blogrolls are nice, but RSS is nicer.)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

So interesting . . .I never have met any celebrities . . but I'd love to.

I have met Hilary Clinton. As a Republican, it was underwhelming.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brush with greatness???
Well, I married Ginny.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was better than People Magazine. I just posted some star sightings...but I swear I hadn't seen your post till just now.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Shaleen said...

When I worked at a private F.B.O. I met a few celebs and/or was working when they were passing through. Some just went out to the plane instead of coming into the lobby. Let's see, people who came in when I was working, some of the guys from Grand Funk Railroad, Henry Fonda, Tim Pawlenty, Randy Moss, along with some more local celebrities. My dad worked there as a pilot and flew Randy Moss and Yanni. So we've got plenty of "brushes with fame" to go around. : ) That's a great list K!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Silverboh said...

I have something to call you now. Hey "Chief"!
Funny stuff.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Organic Gardening Girl Gardens said...

I was in a Central Park bathroom and Tyne Daly was in there with her daughter. Also saw Christopher Reeve at RAy's Pizza. (Hotly debated at the time: WAs it him? No, it wasn't! Yes, it was!)

Oh, yeah, Matt Dillon and Andrew McCarthy shot that horrid film "Kansas" in my hometown. Saw Andrew McCarthy, not Matt Dillon. SHucks.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home