Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Note on the Green Stuff

I am pretty sure the following story has occurred at least a million times, but every time I hear about it it brings a smile to my face. Yesterday's victim: The lovely and talented Christa, who works with me and has an engaging streak of naivete. I envision that Christa's experience went pretty much like this.....

Wow, I am so excited. I have never really ever tried sushi before. The California roll from earlier tasted so good, I am really glad I decided to buy a whole package for lunch. Whoa, what is this? Guacamole? I love guacamole. I didn't know the Japanese used guacamole. Let's see, I'll just smear some on that roll right there. MMMMMMM....yeah, that looks good. Come here little California roll.

Wait. That doesn't taste like guacamole. No, that doesn't taste like guacamole at all. Why is my nose burning? Arrrggghhh. Why did I put the whole thing in my mouth? Make it stop. Owww. Owwww. Owwwwwwwww. Give me some water. I need. Water. Now. Now!!!!! I've got to get this taste out of my mouth. Hey, what's that. A slice of ham in here with the California rolls. Excellent. I will just toss the whole slice into my mouth. Here goes...

Blech. That is not ham. What the crap is that stuff? Oh, I don't like this at all. If they are going to give you a slice of ham and a dollup of guacamole they should just do it. I don't know what this stuff is. Where are the contents listed? Hmmm....wasabi and ginger. Wasabi and ginger????? Yeah, I don't think I like California rolls. Not. At. All.

7 Comments:

Blogger Shaleen said...

Yummy! I'm not that fond of ginger with my sushi, but wasabi? MMMMmmmm...good. ^_^ My first experience with it was a bit similar to that, but I had been warned beforehand and didn't bother to listen. I didn't think it could be that hot! But mix it with the right amount of shoyu and it's great! Wonderful, now I'm craving sushi and it's not even lunch time!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand pickled ginger (it tastes like soap to me), but wasabi? Wasabi is my friend. I mean, how can you not love a food that both tastes good AND clears your sinuses.

(It's great mixed with a bit of shoyu and tossed over steamed broccoli.)

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally thought it was going to be about money (the green stuff). It surprised me in the same way Christa was surprised! I do love sushi...but not so much the hot green stuff.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yuck. I'm positive that I've never had a California Roll. Absolutely positive.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

My oldest daughter took a beginning Japanese class a couple of years ago just for fun. One day after class they went to a Japanese restraunt to eat. The teacher had gone to the same place so they all sat together. The teacher gave them all a lesson about sushi and how to eat it. Bonnie had never tried "raw fish" before but she soon learned that she liked it. I have tried it myself just once. I suppose I was excited about the Guacamole also and learned that I should have tasted a tiny bit before taking a big bite. I wonder why Bonnie didn't tell me that part?

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that if one would eat fish, they would drink their own bath water. When I was a young boy, I went fishing with some friends. I hooked a big "sucker" I took it home, mom was not there, I cooked it up and ate it, and I was violently sick for 3 days. Needless to say, I dislike fish immensely. Writing this post, has made me a little weak in the knees.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh, the green stuff. Ouch! I've only ever tasted a tiny dab. Not my thing. It's fun to have a Christa in the office, no?

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home