Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Note on Old People

I guess I should tread lightly with this subject as I will likely be an old codger at some time and my children and grandchildren will be able to use this blog against me, but I probably won't. Old people are really scary. Not just scary in the sense that they are super concerned with when Jeopardy comes on and what time they have to take the pills they have sequestered in the little pillbox with the days emblazoned on the front, but scary in the "that old guy is going to kill someone, soon" sense.

My father-in-law, whom I consider to be teetering on the brink of codgerdom, recently forgot that he had a loaded pistol on the shelf in the garage, and, as he was getting his favorite cap down from the same shelf, tipped the pistol off the shelf and shot himself. Don't worry, he's okay, but the point is that he shot himself!

To further illustrate my point, an 80-year-old gentleman entered my work today and I got talking with him. He mentioned that he liked cars and proceeded to explain that he had just paid $106,000 on a brand new Porsche Cayenne. $106,000!!!! He's 80!!! As he struggled to lift himself off the sofa and shuffled outside to board his sweet ride, he confided that the last vehicle he had owned had reached a top speed of 120 mph while going up the canyon near his house. Oh, lovely, we now have a geriatric Richard Petty cruising our precious streets.

I don't have a problem with old folks living la vida loca if they are so inclined, but when my peaceful, quiet town is run over by octogenarian gangs wielding guns and fast cars, I take umbrage. Go back to Yuma and Palm Springs and back away from the Shoneys.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another side of your observation should and could be.

You should honor your father-in-law for the courage to have a gun. The modern young people don't seem to understand that we live in perilous times and they don't understand that freedom has a price. About the old man and his car. I have driven the freeway and 99% of time I am passed by a young person going well of 90 mph with a cell phone stuck to their ear. I trust that the next time you see an old duffer that you take your hat off and pay your proper respects.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Well said, anonymous. My wife is sitting here nodding her head and agreeing with you and I am totally with you when you decry the idiocy of cell phones. So in honor of the fact that you are the first one to comment on my site, my next post will be on cell phone etiquette. I think you will enjoy it.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home